Adding artificial flavoring at the stage of spirit run

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kyolic
Bootlegger

Adding artificial flavoring at the stage of spirit run

Post by kyolic »

Recently I am experimenting with artificial flavoring (apple, peach, apricot, etc) of the neutral spirit. To be honest I am getting great results depending on the artificial flavor I am using. However, no matter how good the spirit tastes, you can still sense the artificiality to a certain degree.

Do you think adding the artificial flavoring at the stage of spirit run and distilling it that way might avoid this?
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Re: Adding artificial flavoring at the stage of spirit run

Post by JesseMarques »

never did it, but I don't think so
You may sense the artificiality because real fruits have more than it's caracteristic flavor. It's a countless number of molecules that can play some role in our senses.
If you like a clear spirit with fruit flavor try putting real fruits in your neutral and redistill it. I also never did it, but looks like some guys here does it
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

JesseMarques wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:11 am
If you like a clear spirit with fruit flavor try putting real fruits in your neutral and redistill it. I also never did it, but looks like some guys here does it
You mean adding fruits at the spirit run? This is doable?
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

I'm not sure how that would come out, I've only ever flavoured my gin once bottled, just to say I have one of those fancy 'gingerbread' gins etc. As some if my mates said my craft gingerbread gin wasnt gingerbready enough!

I think you'll likely get more artificial flavour notes, as it would likely be concentrated.

Likely it would be best to macerate with tons of the fruit for a few days, then distill. Should get you a decent carry over and less likely to taste artificial, obviously :D
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

kyolic wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:14 am
I wouldn't add them into the boiler but macerate for a few days instead, then distill.
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

kyolic wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:14 am
JesseMarques wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:11 am
I wouldn't unless the boiler is jacketed, if you have a gin basket or a thumper
If is "no" to each of above, just macerate for some days before redistilling
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

CopperFiend wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:17 am

I wouldn't add them into the boiler but macerate for a few days instead, then distill.
So that means I do the strip run, add fruit to the low wines, wait for a few days and distill it for the spirit run. Am I getting it right?
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

That would likely work but if it were me, I'd go all the way through to making a neutral spirit. Then macerate whatever you want in that at about 60% abv. Then redistill that, just like you would if you were making gin (but with fruit instead of botanicals)
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

CopperFiend wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:24 am That would likely work but if it were me, I'd go all the way through to making a neutral spirit. Then macerate whatever you want in that at about 60% abv. Then redistill that, just like you would if you were making gin (but with fruit instead of botanicals)
A-ha! I get the point now CopperFiend. Thanks a lot. :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

This is what I did when I first started and my first still was a VM which basically only made neutrals. I lived with that whiskey for about 1.5 years until I built my second still. Not just the better product but the satisfaction of doing it right and producing a product that is 10 fold better is why I got into this hobby to begin with.
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

Bushman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:34 am This is what I did when I first started and my first still was a VM which basically only made neutrals. I lived with that whiskey for about 1.5 years until I built my second still. Not just the better product but the satisfaction of doing it right and producing a product that is 10 fold better is why I got into this hobby to begin with.
Well I do make corn whiskey and brandy as well. Yet the practicality of artificial flavoring a neutral is so tempting. If only that subtle artificiality wasn't there. :D
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

I added ribena to a rum spirit run in the hope of bringing some blackcurrant flavour over. It was awful! Think it left the blackcurrant in the boiler and brought the preservatives over!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Here's an interesting thread with some info about fruit infusions:
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=60563

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Some fruits bring over nice flavours from maceration others not so much. Its just trial and error. I would do it with a finished neutral product. Not just a stripped one.
Sooner or later the people who run the planet all end up choosing one drink....
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

If you've got a decent neutral, forget the artificial flavors. You can make limoncello, strawberry panty dropper, Grand Marnier all with macerations and no redistilling. Sambuca using licorice extract and sugar is easy. Lots of options.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

kyolic wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:14 am You mean adding fruits at the spirit run? This is doable?
You could tackle it like a gin run. Put good, already cut base spirit in your boiler. Add fruit into boiler or vapor path. Make cuts like you would on a gin run.

Here's a commercial example for ideas
https://www.ketelone.com/botanical/

I've heard it works well with apple peels, but haven't tried it myself yet.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I've got a small apothecaries worth of flavorings used to make ecig juice, water, cocktails to spirits too. Distilling artificial flavors will never taste less artificial. They taste artificial because they are and because of how you are using them. Some tricks though, combine artificial flavors to add depth, most of the fake-ness is in one dimensional aroma compounds. So add others. If you want to make a peach flavor then use peach, juicy peach, ripe peach, nectarine, an imperceptible bit of banana, and wave the pear flavor in the same general direction. The depth really makes a difference.

Also, add in natural flavors when and how you can. Even if it's just some citrus peel for a background note to whatever artificial thing you're actually going for.

And finally, go light. Most natural things are not the flavor bombs we think of them as, those are just the emotions we attach to the memories of them and the hopes we project toward a future encounter. Real life is kinda boring, apples don't taste like appletinis.