Stovetop Home Distilling Equipment

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hal
Novice

Stovetop Home Distilling Equipment

Post by Hal »

Hi everyone, my intention is to make grappa on the stove inside the house, so I found this equipment:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft/m ... 1529806029

- Is this a good? Is there a way to verify or check it before buying? It is a resale...
- Can distilling be successful on an electric flat top stove?
- Any other recommendations for equipment? I am in Ontario, Canada.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Stovetop Home Distilling Equipment

Post by Bushman »

It looks like it has a very small cooling area. They advertise no copper but the cooling tube is copper which is good to have in the vapor path to remove sulphates. I see the reason you are interested is it is located in your area of the world but before spending the money I would look at building a still (it’s not all that hard).
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I think it is a pot-still, it seems to me that it has a double bottom with holes, if so I think it's good for pomace. To use it like this, you have to fill the bottom with water, then insert in the double bottom and fill it with pomace, in this way the steam rises meets the pomace and extracts steam / aromas. I made a post here on grappa (as I currently do) https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 07&t=80633
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Caution: it has plastics in the alcohol path, including the proof testing tube.

Best to go the “build your own” route, although the boiler looks quite robust and includes a T/C style vapor outlet which would make adapting a homemade stillhead to the boiler easy. And the thermometer is unneeded for distillation, especially for a new distiller, as it only creates confusion and questions about the operation.

For the “stovetop” question, if your stove is gas, then it would be appropriate to heat a boiler. If it is electric, then accommodations will be required to minimize the cycling on and off of the heat element. You need a constant heat source, not the typical “simmerstat” control that electric stoves often provide.

Have a look through the Construction forum for lots of “build your own” ideas.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:02 am Caution: it has plastics in the alcohol path, including the proof testing tube.

Best to go the “build your own” route, although the boiler looks quite robust and includes a T/C style vapor outlet which would make adapting a homemade stillhead to the boiler easy. And the thermometer is unneeded for distillation, especially for a new distiller, as it only creates confusion and questions about the operation.

For the “stovetop” question, if your stove is gas, then it would be appropriate to heat a boiler. If it is electric, then accommodations will be required to minimize the cycling on and off of the heat element. You need a constant heat source, not the typical “simmerstat” control that electric stoves often provide.

Have a look through the Construction forum for lots of “build your own” ideas.
ss
+1 If I can build a still anybody can.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
Hal
Novice

Post by Hal »

Thank you, I guess I could try to build the still.
I found these step by step instructions for 2 types:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/diyproject ... l-diy/amp/

http://learntomoonshine.com/how-to-buil ... structions

Which one is better? I will need it for grappa. The first one looks easier. I just don't know how effective the ice would be for cooling.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

That still that's for sale has a product condser I don't like.
The boiler looks good, and since it has triclamps you can easily swap out parts.

The first of your diy links is a no go. The worm is too small a diameter, and using hot glue to seal is frowned upon.

The second one is a boka, a proven design here. But it's a reflux still, where the other two were pot stills. For a grappa a pot still would be best.
Hal
Novice

Post by Hal »

Uff..:) OK, so I need a Pot still for grappa, not a reflux type.
Does it need to be a pressure cooker or a stainless or aluminum?
Is soldering the best option for the seals?
If you have any step by step instructions for building this out in the Construction forum or anywhere on the net, please send me the links

Thank you
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Hal wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:53 am Uff..:) OK, so I need a Pot still for grappa, not a reflux type.
Does it need to be a pressure cooker or a stainless or aluminum?
Is soldering the best option for the seals?
If you have any step by step instructions for building this out in the Construction forum or anywhere on the net, please send me the links

Thank you
The pot must be made of stainless steel or copper. In a simple pot style I recommend this: you connect to the lid in the way you prefer for example with screw fittings, tri-clamp, as long as there is no rubber (except PTFE) in the vapor path. A short "column" is enough to guide the vapors, these vapors go to a product condenser, I recommend a simple liebig. The boiler, if you intend to make real grappa (ie with grape pomace) must have a system that "isolates" the pomace from the heat otherwise you will burn it, I recommend a grill on the bottom. I'll make you a simple drawing. Remember there can be several ways to achieve the same thing.
pot.png
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

You don't need a pressure cooker, in fact most of the time they're a bad choice due to their sealing materials.

Some folks here have made boilers out of stock pots, and used flour paste and binder clips to make a seal. Others wrap plumbers tape around the pot/lid connection and then add binder clips.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59781
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 50&t=71002

Demy's drawing makes a lot of sense for stilling on the pomace. There's stock pots that have steam baskets.

What kind of stove are you running? If the elements cycle on and off that's not ideal. My inlaws have an induction top that doesn't cycle, that would be a good choice.