cuts do matter

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

cuts do matter

Post by Oldvine Zin »

So I have been here fore a few years and have learned a lot from this forum. My method was always ferment and distill to fill a barrel. Well after having many barrels ageing of what I thought was the best I decided to up the pot. So my last batch of rum I took better cuts, less heads and no tails, Damn that was better than anything that I have ever made.

Stay safe
OVZ
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: cuts do matter

Post by 8Ball »

I agree. I’ve recently been making very narrow cuts on an all malt and the results are very nice. I still think that you have to tailor your cuts to what it is you are making. I would make much wider cuts on bourbon vs a single malt, for example. I wish I started this hobby years ago ...

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Phil_
Novice

Post by Phil_ »

My latest run I noticed the tails had more of bite or a sour note. Do you determine tails just based off proof dropping or what do you look for?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Taste them and smell them........proof tells nothing except what the proof is.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Phil_ wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:42 am My latest run I noticed the tails had more of bite or a sour note. Do you determine tails just based off proof dropping or what do you look for?
I determine my rum heart cut by sampling prospective blends of the cut jars, not by tasting individual jars or product off the spout, or by any other method you might see on forums or Youtube. What doesn't make the cut are the heads and tails.

From what I've read on this forum, my yields are a lot higher than for many of the old hands around here, which should indicate lower quality. I often wonder if this is because my taste buds are buggered, but the few who have managed to wheedle themselves a sample do like it.