Alcometer reading low in parrot

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

GNBrews
Novice

Alcometer reading low in parrot

Post by GNBrews »

I don't think I've ever seen this issue posted (or my search skills suck; possible). While the alcometer is in the parrot, it reads exceptionally low when the distillate is in the 50-20 ABV range. Sampling into a hydrometer tube and using the same alcometer, it reads normally. It seems that menisucus is super super high-domed before the surface tension breaks and the liquid overflows the tube. If I stop adding liquid, the alcometer's steady-state is to remain higher in the tube than normal (read quite low). If I push the alcometer down and displace that meniscus, it settles and reads normal. So weird.

The piece of tube that the parrot rides in is 3/4", which gives a little wiggle room for product to pass, but maybe not enough? Any solutions? Any ideas on the meniscus?

Do I need to add another vent?

Test with just plain tap water.

The parrot; nothing fancy.
Parrot.jpg
The steady-state after adding water and overflowing into collection (completely incorrect reading)
Parrot_wWater.jpg
After bouncing and removing the meniscus bulge (mostly correct reading):
Parrot after bounce.jpg
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Re: Alcometer reading low in parrot

Post by CopperFiend »

Filing a small notch in the inner ring where the alcometer sits can help with meniscus control
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Parrots are overrated. I don’t have one, never needed one, and I’ve made hundreds of runs. Copper is pretty to look at, so put it on the shelf.

Sorry, I can't help you. And I don’t even sympathize with your dilemma. Sorry.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
GNBrews
Novice

Post by GNBrews »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:00 pm Parrots are overrated. I don’t have one, never needed one, and I’ve made hundreds of runs. Copper is pretty to look at, so put it on the shelf.

ss
Umm.. fantastic? Why are you trolling in the novice section?
GNBrews
Novice

Post by GNBrews »

CopperFiend wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:45 pm Filing a small notch in the inner ring where the alcometer sits can help with meniscus control
I'll give that a shot! Thanks man.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

GNBrews wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:11 pm
still_stirrin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:00 pm Parrots are overrated. I don’t have one, never needed one, and I’ve made hundreds of runs. Copper is pretty to look at, so put it on the shelf.

ss
Don't confuse being given advice you don't want to hear with trolling. Watching a parrot can lead you to making mistakes, especially when you are new at the game and don't have your own records to use for decision making.
GNBrews
Novice

Post by GNBrews »

NZChris wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:28 pm Don't confuse being given advice you don't want to hear with trolling. Watching a parrot can lead you to making mistakes, especially when you are new at the game and don't have your own records to use for decision making.
May folks use parrots and like the additional feedback they give. They certainly don't replace the taste buds. To each their own I guess.

I'm just wondering my mine's not working right. :D
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A common fault is the flow holding it up because of insufficient clearance for the flow rate. A bypass might help.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

ss
uhmm.., nope SS is correct. a hydrometer is a very good tool to have. but a hydrometer reading is for spot reading a sample, yes you may use it for continuous reading but it will not be accurate. and the feedback that you will get will be just that.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
GNBrews
Novice

Post by GNBrews »

NZChris wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:10 am A common fault is the flow holding it up because of insufficient clearance for the flow rate. A bypass might help.
Thanks, NZChris. I was thinking the same thing, but then I measured with just a simple water flow. The alcometer floats higher and then just stays there, seemingly due to the surface tension of the at the top of the float tube pulling it up into the "bubble".

I haven't yet tried filing a notch per Copperfiend's suggestion. That'll be a weekend project.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, folks. Again, I'm not aware of this being posted about prior.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I read a post about this problem on a forum somewhere before, that's how I knew about it. Can you get a smaller diameter alcometer?

Personally, I don't think they've got much going for them unless you are doing commercial quantities of repeat product and have your process nailed. There is always something else that changes at the same time that can be used to make the same decision.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

This forum doesn't run that way! Some of the more experienced members do read and comment on the novice posts, this is to offer help and advice to the novices. Sorry that SS's advise wasn't what you wanted to hear, but don't call him a troll, that was disrespectful and in my opinion you should apologize.

Be safe and read
OVZ
GNBrews
Novice

Post by GNBrews »

Thanks for the help, OVZ!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

GNBrews wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:34 pm Thanks for the help, OVZ!
Glad that I could help with your attitude.
For your parrot issue it's hard to to see what size pipe that you are using but what it looks like to me is that the alcometer is resting in at 3/4" pipe, that would be a bit too small and might create a bit of binding and not give you a true reading.

Stay safe and read my friend
OVZ
GNBrews
Novice

Post by GNBrews »

You bet, OVZ. I've learned that most folks can fight their own battles and most don't need others to be offended on their behalf. I'm a long time lurker; even older than you. :wink:

Thanks all. I switched to a 1" tube and that cleared up the issue; not enough clearance was causing the alcometer to move like a hydraulic piston.
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

If you use a digital meat thermometer in the vapor path you can easily determine the proof from that
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

I was going to suggest that the temperature of the distillate might require compensation.

Also you should watch the Still It video on parrots. He does a dye test and shows how much smearing occurs. This may be something you don’t want. I picked up a refractometer and it only takes a few drops which is extremely nice.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

hawkwing wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:47 am Also you should watch the Still It video on parrots. He does a dye test and shows how much smearing occurs. This may be something you don’t want. I picked up a refractometer and it only takes a few drops which is extremely nice.
When I saw his parrot video, he was using water, so the SG wasn't dropping like it does when distilling. If he hasn't updated the video, you are watching a flawed experiment.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

NZChris wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:52 pm
hawkwing wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:47 am Also you should watch the Still It video on parrots. He does a dye test and shows how much smearing occurs. This may be something you don’t want. I picked up a refractometer and it only takes a few drops which is extremely nice.
When I saw his parrot video, he was using water, so the SG wasn't dropping like it does when distilling. If he hasn't updated the video, you are watching a flawed experiment.
Perhaps but there is probably still a fair bit of smearing. What do you think the difference would be if the experiment was corrected?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

hawkwing wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:59 pm Perhaps but there is probably still a fair bit of smearing. What do you think the difference would be if the experiment was corrected?
Because the incoming spirit is heavier than the spirit above it, there is less mixing. I used that to make this:
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=79222#p7618935