Proofing Process

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CaptThomasTew
Novice

Proofing Process

Post by CaptThomasTew »

Well, after much reading and getting set up, I was successful with my mash, fermenting, and completing a product. Heads removed with little tails from my reflux head, I had just under 5 cups of 175 Proof Product from a 5-gallon wash. The SG before fermentation was only 1.070.

Something unexpected happened when I went to add some distilled water to bring it to 100 Proof, The product started to warm up, yes, this was a surprise to me as a beginer. Is this a thing and what is the proper process to proof? Maybe I added too much water at one time? Also, the result was a little cloudy and no longer fully clear.

Looks like I need to learn a new lesson.

P.S. I now get what it means to shake and look at the bubbles to determine proof, I am not an expert, but now I understand.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Proofing Process

Post by jonnys_spirit »

You need a proof and tralle hydrometer similar to this to measure ABV:
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/product ... EtEALw_wcB

I just add bottled room temp spring water to barrel strength (~125pf) product to get to the desired proof when proofing down. If I'm just sneaking a glass or two from the aging jug I'll simply mix about 1part water to 2parts ~125pf product to get about 80'ish proof or so.

If it's getting cloudy you probably need to work on blending your fractions ie; cuts... COuld be too much tails in the product.

Which recipe did you follow?

-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Adding water and alcohol together is exothermic, meaning when they mix heat it released. So yes, to answer that question, proofing will warm the mixture.

You mentioned the presence of tails off a reflux still. The presence of tails will tend to make diluted product cloudy, actively avoid tails, especially off a reflux still. Tighter cuts will help prevent this. I have read that it may make a difference wether water is added to alcohol or alcohol added to water. If I remember correctly alcohol to water is preferable for avoiding cloudiness.

Proofing by 'reading the bead' is an old timers thing. Got a proper proof & trailer hydrometer (two actually, they get lonely and suicide if kept in isolation) and thermometer to measure proof correctly with reasonable accuracy.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

zed255 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:48 am Proofing by 'reading the bead' is an old timers thing. Got a proper proof & trailer hydrometer (two actually, they get lonely and suicide if kept in isolation) and thermometer to measure proof correctly with reasonable accuracy.
I always wondered why mine committed suicide LOL