First time using thumper keg

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

IdahoShine
Novice

First time using thumper keg

Post by IdahoShine »

So I have a Chinese 5 gallon stove top still that I got just to try it distillation and have run one batch through already. It was a success with just using the boiler and condenser. I think I took way to much out as the heads and foreshots, and got a ton of tails but about 5 pints of solid liquor. Good tasting too.

The still also comes with a "thumper" pot that has a lid with seal and two threaded holes for the stainless lines in and out. From looking at traditional thumpers/doublers, there should be a pipe that runs from the vapor intake into the pot where it would be submerged in the liquid. My pot didn't come with any of that, will it still work if the vapor just comes in the pot and but the liquid? I'm interested in seeing what the extra thumper pot did to my output. Any one else use this type of still and run the thumper?
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Re: First time using thumper keg

Post by SaltyStaves »

IdahoShine wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:16 pm will it still work if the vapor just comes in the pot and but the liquid?
No. Sounds like a Slobber box. A picture of your still might lead to a more informed answer though.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Idaho please disable the tapatalk advert on your phone before posting again.
We do not want to see that garbage here.
I have edited it from your post this time.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Agree that's not a thumper, it's a slobber box to protect puking. I use Tapatalk, delete your signature line in the app.