Hello again

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PANMAN1965
Swill Maker

Hello again

Post by PANMAN1965 »

It's been a while since I have been here. I have plans to reeducate myself and restart this hobby. I was using COB horse feed with molasses but that is unavailable to me so I mixed my own. 50# cracked corn 50# crimped barley and 50# of food grade rolled oats mixed with 10# of molasses. I make small runs and this rotted before I used it all. I am sure it was from mixing in the molasses and leaving it set so long. So here is the new plan.....I am asking for critique..stovetop with a thumper.... 5# of corn 5# of oats and 5# of barley mixed with 1# of molasses. I ferment it in buckets then transfer to carboys to clear so I am not putting solids in the run. I guess it would be easier to have the mill mix the grains, scoop out 15 pounds and add a pound of molasses and the sugar(7#). BUT the mill operator asked a thousand questions about why I wanted the mill so cleaned out before they mixed my feed. Would be easier to just buy separate and mix as I need it.....
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Hello again

Post by still_stirrin »

If I were you, I’d get the grains individually bagged and blend when I was ready to brew. The reason being, you’ll have a better mix of the grains with more uniformity that a grainery would due to their production size. They simply wouldn’t have control to accurately mix such a small batch of grains. If you were buying several bushels, or hundreds of pounds, then you’d get total pounds accordingly, but a scoop at a time wouldn’t have the ratios you’re wanting.

So, buy individual grains whole and weigh and mill separately at home. And then do your blending for your mash.

But here’s a note - with corn, I gelatinize it separately. So, keeping that by itself (unblended) works for me. After gelatinization, I mix the grains in the mash tun all together.

Another advantage for home milling and blending, is that the grains will stay fresh longer and better if whole. And, I store my grains in the freezer too. It keeps the moisture content stable and kills any bugs that might be resident in the kernals. Then, I weigh out what I need for a batch and mill it the day before brewday. Fresh grains every time!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
PANMAN1965
Swill Maker

Post by PANMAN1965 »

I am (was) a home brewer. When I use corn I use flaked never just whole or cracked. To be honest I am not sure what you mean by gelatinizing the corn....soooo for some reading to do. The premixed stuff made a really good drink but again just rotted after setting. So I will buy everything separate and mix per batch....thanks
PANMAN1965
Swill Maker

Post by PANMAN1965 »

Oh so basically you are mashing the corn at a higher temperature. Then adding the other grains in.. ..easy enough...again thank you
PANMAN1965
Swill Maker

Post by PANMAN1965 »

Ok...what about mashing everything with some 6 row added to the mix for enzymes? I don't think it is necessary with the added sugar but it can't hurt.