Is there an "Idiots guide" to whiskey?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

steviesterno
Novice

Is there an "Idiots guide" to whiskey?

Post by steviesterno »

I got into this with the idea that I eventually want to DIY whiskey and more so bourbon. I have done my water, vinegar, and sacrificial run. I currently have a simple sugar was going so I can do some neutral, but the goal is and has been good whiskey and/or bourbon.

My question is, what's the idiot recipe for a first mash? I don't have a mill but have most other kitchen appliances. I also only get the chance to run to a brew store occasionally, so basic grocery store or amazon ingredients would be easy.

I know the most important ingredient is time and wood, and I have some casks ready to go.

Side note, what's a good hydrometer to get?
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Re: Is there an "Idiots guide" to whiskey?

Post by Justinthunder »

Easy recipe I have is 17 lbs corn, 3lbs malted barley, 10 gallons of water. You can add other grains instead of corn like wheat or rye or add it to it, it’s a super simple recipe and works awesome. Bring water to 170 and add corn and hold it there until your corn gelatinizes, my milled corn normally takes a half hour. Then once the water drops to 150 pitch your malts let that drop to 100 and add your bread yeast. Also take a look at the tt section, lots of good recipes there that you can’t go wrong with
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

steviesterno wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:13 pm I got into this with the idea that I eventually want to DIY whiskey and more so bourbon. I have done my water, vinegar, and sacrificial run. I currently have a simple sugar was going so I can do some neutral, but the goal is and has been good whiskey and/or bourbon.

My question is, what's the idiot recipe for a first mash? I don't have a mill but have most other kitchen appliances. I also only get the chance to run to a brew store occasionally, so basic grocery store or amazon ingredients would be easy.

I know the most important ingredient is time and wood, and I have some casks ready to go.

Hey Stevie, so the best answer you can get is, to wait. Start by doing some sugar based runs, work on fermentation, learn how your still works, and build your knowledge of cuts. Doing all grain requires a fair bit of doing, so unless you're coming from a beer making background, its probably going to be a very steep and expensive learning curve. Sticking within that theme, why not try UJSM (Uncle Jesse' Sour Mash) recipe in the tried and true section? Easy to learn, and the ingredients (sugar and cracked corn) should be readily obtainable. This would give you a good product and the basics before you go deeper into the hobby.

Re Hydrometers, there is no brand which is best, buy 2 of whatever you can find, cuz the first one is going to get smashed sooner or later.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

steviesterno wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:13 pmMy question is, “what's the idiot recipe for a first mash?”

This is a good beginner’s recipe. It doesn’t require mashing grains, which I’m assuming you’re clueless about.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... f=14&t=725

Read it through thoroughly. Pretty straight forward, even for a beginning brewer.

Get a homebrewers hydrometer from your local homebrew store. Also, get a Proof & Traille hydrometer (alcometer) from the store as well. You’ll need it for proofing your spirits. But....you need BOTH...1 for brewing and the other for distilling.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

+1 for starting with UJ. It will also give you something nice to drink while your whisky stock ages.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Regarding the hydrometer

Get one calibrated to 20C not 60F

Easier to find temp correction
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

+1 to Expats advice to wait on All Grain and stick with flavored Sugar recipes like UJSM. Lots to learn. Taking it in steps helps you learn faster in the long run. Save All Grain mashing as the last step unless cash and time is not too much of an issue for you.

If you are set on doing All Grain (for Bourbon) along the way the Corn/Barley is straight forward. Avoid adding rye to your grain bill at first as it can complicate your mashing if used significantly.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Brewing America has some accurate hydrometers. Worth the few extra dollars