New copper still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

aarons13
Novice

New copper still

Post by aarons13 »

Am looking to poss build my first copper pot still with thumper and worm. First issue I have is where might I find copper sheets for the build am in tri state wv/my/oh? 2nd issue and biggest if find help with the math to help layout the parts need to build it all on the sheet of copper? Hope understood my ?’s and thanks in advance
One other ? Would I be better of using my 15.5 gal keg I have if so can I still use a copper thumper and worm?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: New copper still

Post by acfixer69 »

Yes and better to use the keg. And do some research on a copper boiler if you don't know where copper sheet is then I'll bet cutting and fitting may be above your craftsmanship.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Yea the keg is a better choice imo. Get some 2 inch pipe, ferrules, and triclamps. You can use another keg as a thumper too. Plenty of designs including my own here on hd if you search
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

I would definitely use the keg you have as a boiler, buy a 7 gallon keg for a thump, buy some copper pipe from home
Depot or any hardware store and build yourself a reflux still or a nice column to the thump and then a Liebig off of the thump, make sure to put a ball valve drain on both kegs to make things easy.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Chauncey wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:28 pm Yea the keg is a better choice imo. Get some 2 inch pipe, ferrules, and triclamps. You can use another keg as a thumper too. Plenty of designs including my own here on hd if you search
+1
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Just to be a contrarian...

You can find the copper you need online. There are plans available by pintoshine that have the template for a pot still ready to print, no math required. I love my home made copper pot still, had a lot of fun making it and it works great. Copper is very forgiving and unless you are all thumbs then you can make a simple pot still. Here is a link to my build:

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p7572807
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

If you want to practice before deciding to build a full still why not start with a copper funnel. I believe we have plans somewhere on the forum. This would allow you to build something useful and see if you want to tackle a larger project. You can usually find smaller used sheets on copper at a metal recycling yard.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Starting with a funnel is a great idea. I made a little container I guess I'd call it first. I wish I had found the article you linked Bushman, good starter project. A parrot might be another starter project. And yes, I like using my parrot for stripping runs. Lets not get into that. But working with copper is fun. Do you happen to have an oxy-acetylene torch? You can do with a regular torch too but the oxy-acetylene is better.