Carrying on tradition

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pttm08
Novice

Carrying on tradition

Post by pttm08 »

Well, more studying needed by me. Made a run of peach brandy this weekend. As long as you like drinking rubbing alcohol you might like it.lol
I did proof it and it is only around 90-125 packaged in pint jars so still some room to play. I am hoping some airing out will help it also.
I will start by saying I know I have a long way to go and I probably should have done more research instead of just doing. I had seen some posts/recipes for using canned peached. I put two gallons and mashed them up with a meat masher utensil. Some not smashed just chopped in smaller pieces. I added a 4 lb bag of sugar. Filled the pot with about 5 gallons of water and added my "champagne" yeast and nutrient per instructions and let set for a month. The first run through I had about 3 pints of beautiful clear liquid that had the smell and taste of liquor. I did run everything out as well but very little taste or smell. I ran a second run and came out with 4 pretty clear jars and 3 not so clear. Again hoping some airing out will get the hot taste out of it.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Carrying on tradition

Post by dunluce »

I think possibly you need to look at how to make cuts?

Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

Hopefully the more experienced guys will chime in for you but in the mean time here I am. You could start with buying a sugar hydrometer so you can get your OG and then your FG. It definitely helps you know how much alcohol you will get and also if your mash is ready to distill. Your tails will get a little cloudy but that it nothing to worry about. I highly advise you buy some paper coffee filters and put them on top of your jars for 1-2 days to help air them out and keep any bugs out. Airing out will help with the hot taste, my last rye mash was super hot and spicy off the still and after airing out for 2 days was very nice and drinkable
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Some considerations: 1) the more the fruit tastes faint the less flavor you will have in your distillate, what I mean: peaches have a light aroma, fermentation will change your product and in distillation you will have little flavor. True, you can play with the distillation method (which is very fair) but don't expect a ton of flavor. If you want a "fresh fruit" flavor, consider post flavoring (= distil with proper equipment, good cuts, then flavor your product). There are various ways to flavor for example fruit juice (filtered), peels (one of my favorites) etc ... 2) Canned fruit will give you a poor aroma compared to fresh fruit but we have to be satisfied with what we find. 3) The sugar will increase the alcohol content but dilute the flavor. These are just suggestions from personal experience so they may be imperfect.