A few specific questions.

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

EastTNbrew
Novice

A few specific questions.

Post by EastTNbrew »

I am currently on day 3 of my very first fermentation of UJSSM. I have my still ready and have been reading everything I can find on the distillation process. I read every bit of the thread on "better cuts" (thank you all for being so precise; I am a math teacher by day, so I love precision), and am still not sure where to cut the foreshot. I have a 5 gallon mixture of corn, sugar, yeast and water and a 20l pot for my still. So... when it comes time to distill and make cuts, will the foreshot be 1 of my pint jars? Is that too much or too little? Also, I read that before doing the cuts, it is advisable to put coffee filters over the jars and leave them for a day and then do whatever process one prefers for making cuts. Finally, since I'm using a pot still, it seems that I need to do a stripping run first (with just a foreshot cut, and the rest in one jar), then make another run with that "product" which I will separate into my pint jars and make cuts. Thanks for any help!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: A few specific questions.

Post by acfixer69 »

Your first run will be a vinegar clean run. Follow that with a sacrificial alcohol run. After those are done read Kiwi's topic on pot still cuts. That should get you started.
EastTNbrew
Novice

Post by EastTNbrew »

Thanks - so I read around the site about vinegar and sacrificial runs and it seems I can simply send water and vinegar 50-50 through, then either cheap wine or my first ferment batch. Then the next batch of fermented corn-sugar-water-yeast I'd run through and be making product fit for drinking, which I should distill twice, making cuts on the second of those runs. Is that right?
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

Yep. That's right.
Where I'm at, a 1.75 liter bottle of Calypso rum is the cheapest alcohol on a $/unit alcohol basis. It's $10 and works out to $0.014 per ml. The cheapest wines I could find were all about 4 cents/ml.
Last edited by Bee on Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Correct, assuming the sac run did the complete cleaning. Only you can determine that. If you feel it's safe at that point you can follow any distilling protocol you chose.
EastTNbrew
Novice

Post by EastTNbrew »

Thank you both!