is this rig the right set up

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

buddha
Novice

is this rig the right set up

Post by buddha »

not sure if this is the right forum but i am new so will try here.

I have done about 5 or 6 batches now and have not been able to get the desired abv. i h ave only in reflux mode gotten max 82 percent abv on second run and 75 percent max abv on first run . same results in both pot mode and reflux mode. my washes have been between 9 to 13 percent abv
tried a birdwatchers and ujssm. have tried 1 and 2 and 3 rolls of copper mesh in column in different runs.

so my rig is a 13 gallon ss kettle from north stills
3 inch wide 30 inch collumn about and an 3 inch wide dephlemenator

2 1750 watt elements with one controler. cant remember the type but increase wattage by dial (1 to 10 settings)

still from north stills in canada and pump and hosing from brewhause in states.

Im kinda thinking that there is not enough heat to power through the 3 inch in reflux but not sure.

have run reflux with both elements and one element and set water flow for deflemenator as low as i can and reflux barely puts out a very small trickle at pot still level abv.
would insulating column help

any ideas would be apreciated.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: is this rig the right set up

Post by Expat »

From the sounds of it, you're getting essentially no reflux and are driving in pot still mode only. Changes are required.

Yes, insulate the column and boiler.

Pack every inch of column the between the boiler and the takeoff with copper mesh (or similar) which is dense enough to slightly restrict airflow if you try to breath through it.

Do stripping runs and load the boiler with 40% low wines instead of raw wash.

Re read the spoon feed thread on how to drive your reflux column, because it sounds like you've missed some steps. e.g. holding the column in equilibrium. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15508

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by buddha »

yes I have done an 35 percent avb re distillation for second run and thats when i got the 82 percent which was a little higher than the 72 percent first run. . i will get more packing. is it best to pack it in as several rolls or just stuff it.

also i measured the column and its only 2 feet. . should it be longer?
should the dephemator be insulated as well?
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

Buddha, I have the same setup but the 8 gallon. My first few runs were like yours. I packed my column with copper and even stuffed some up in the top to see if that helps. Best run after cuts was 86%. I want to do vodka and will try again on a high water flow max heat type run. I usually run my boiler with the small pot still on it so have a comfort with that setup. I am sure with more runs I can get into the 90,s for abv. I now know this is not the best design but should be able to get it done. Do you use the parrot? I was and the flow through the parrot lifted the hydrometer so I thought i was getting lower abv from the run. Now I use the parrot as a stand alone with no flow. An expensive beaker.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I mean what are you trying to achieve?
Faster collection speed? Higher purity? Better finished product?
Or all of the above?
Are you happy with your finished product thus far?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
buddha
Novice

Post by buddha »

no parrot yet. but good to know . thanks. i think it was when watching barley and hops episode. george said that the 13 gallon 3 inch column was much harder to learn on than the 5 gallon setup. oh well. i allways go big. lol. everywhere i read a reflux should be getting 95 percent off of high wines. ive got 7 gallons of ujssm at 38 percent from stripping runs. . i think i will go get some stuff and insulate the collumn today and try running it. will post with the rusult
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

buddha wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:08 am no parrot yet. but good to know . thanks. i think it was when watching barley and hops episode. george said that the 13 gallon 3 inch column was much harder to learn on than the 5 gallon setup. oh well. i allways go big. lol. everywhere i read a reflux should be getting 95 percent off of high wines. ive got 7 gallons of ujssm at 38 percent from stripping runs. . i think i will go get some stuff and insulate the collumn today and try running it. will post with the rusult
If George said it I would assume it to be wrong and research it on my own. I have learned bigger is better when making cuts.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

buddha wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:20 am
It reads like you seek a higher ABV as for a neutral. The standard for a packed column to achieve this is 20-25:1. (Height:column diameter) At 2' you are more like 8:1, which makes it tough. Also, how consistently you pack your column will provide more predictable results.

I run a 3" x 54" packed column and could use a few more inches. :mrgreen:

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=19710
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I don't think it's the fault of the size of the boiler. I often run very small batches of low wines and even with a medium length column I can get to 90Abv.
First I would think about the packaging, fill well as they advised you. If the packaging is OK the problem is in the procedure. The boiler and the insulated column helps especially if you have a shortage of calorific value but I don't think that's the problem.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

do yourself a favour and forget George. 2' of 3" is 600mm in my count. get double.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Budda how about a photo of this still so that people know what they are dealing with.......then you may get answers that help.
Also I Suggest you read the forum Rules, Pay special attention to Rule L https://homedistiller.org/forum/app.php/rules ….the buisness name you have mentioned in your post is on this forums list of sites and videos that have poor reputations regarding advice or services.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

https://www.northstills.com/wp-content/ ... flux-1.jpg

Link to pic. I have the same but smaller. Now I know more there are better reflux designs
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Thanks Poppa.
Yeah pretty outdated reflux design.....everybody but some of the comercial guys stopped building those 10 years ago.
I guess they are good sellers because the seem like good value to the average unsuspecting newb. As long as people keep buying them....they will keep making them.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

buddha wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:20 am yes I have done an 35 percent avb re distillation for second run and thats when i got the 82 percent which was a little higher than the 72 percent first run. . i will get more packing. is it best to pack it in as several rolls or just stuff it.

should the dephemator be insulated as well? Could be helpful, but no idea if it‘s pushing efficiency very much.
Stop insulating the column at the beginning of the reflux condenser.

Maybe reread how to run this kind of still. If it‘s outputting alcohol if you want to equilibrate, something‘s wrong. Heating element powering too much? Water flow for reflux condenser too low.... etc.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

So are you shooting exclusively for high abv or what?
Inefficiency or the word inefficient has a lot of meanings in distillation and is not necessarily a bad thing.
Look at the basic, humble pot still for example. The apparatus with the oldest pedigree and least amount of technology. It is the least efficient at liberating ethanol molecules away from their conjoined cousins.
And yet pot stilled spirits are some of the most desirable spirits on the planet. How can that be that to tool that is the least capable of separation, makes some of the best spirits?
Zymergy Bob would say because the operator must learn to exploit those inefficiencies. Indeed some inefficiency is what the operator wants.

How much inefficiency are you trying to "loose".
What are you making?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.