New malts

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Justinthunder
Swill Maker

New malts

Post by Justinthunder »

Even though I still have 10kg of malted white wheat, 10kg of Vienna malted barley and 10kg of Munich malted barley, today I visited a new malt house and couldn’t help myself but purchase some more malt, there was a big price break at a 23kg bag for 75$ cad so I bought a bag of Black bear and a bag of Chocolate. The chocolate is 300srm and the Black Bear is 500srm. I am getting a massive stock pile of malts and I am sooo ready for spring to be here, the snow is melting and the weather is getting warmer and my still is calling my name. I plan on doing 20lbs of this malt and 20lbs corn for a whisky then I’m going to take the remaining 20lbs for each malt and try my hand at a single malt. I feel it might be amazing because of the malts I’m using
E035C749-4EB2-400C-B2D0-19749225C63A.jpeg
0FC42CC0-D28E-4B35-B47D-489F9B7EDFDD.jpeg
OldSmitty
Novice
Location: The sun is hotter than the salsa here, and the salsa don't mess around

Re: New malts

Post by OldSmitty »

Not sure if I misunderstood your intentions, but these aren't malt substitutes for 6 row, 2 row, wheat malt, rye malt, etc.

The roasted malts have no conversion power. They are added in small percentages as flavoring agents. See chocolate sundae bourbon in the recipe development forum.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

These malts are totally new to me and the malt guy didn’t really tell me anything when I bought these, I have only dabbled in malted rye and barley, so these have no sugars to convert? I checked out the chocolate sundae recipe, this is more for flavoring because it has no sugars? Because if that’s the case that sucks and I have like 45lbs of each lol
OldSmitty
Novice
Location: The sun is hotter than the salsa here, and the salsa don't mess around

Post by OldSmitty »

Base malts have enzymes which take starch and convert starch to sugar. They are a source of starches as well. You can use these as up to 100% of your recipes. Examples are 2 row malt, 6 row malt, rye malt, wheat malt.

Adjuncts have starch but no enzymes. You will either need to add enzymes or use a base malt to convert starch to sugar. Examples are cracked corn, raw (then cooked prior to mashing) grains, flaked grains. These can get up to 70% if you have strong enough malts to convert or up to 100% if you rely heavily on enzymes.

Specialty malts may have some sugars or starches but may not necessarily convert and be fermented. Lighter colors generally have more fermentables than darker malts. Only small portions should be used.

It sounds like you almost have a lifetime supply of those roasted malts. Maybe you can take them back if unopened? Otherwise trade or sell on eBay would be a way to recoup some investment.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

My malt house said I can return them no problem for a couple bags of base malts, they have a very nice smelling oats one and some different wheats and barleys, just shows there is something new to learn every second in this hobby, and malt doesn’t necessarily mean malt.