Consolidating faints

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Reaverman
Novice

Consolidating faints

Post by Reaverman »

Hi,

I'm right in thinking that with regards to storing faints. I can put whisky/Vodka/Rum faints in one jar, and my Gin faints in another jar? I just think storing the entire lot in one jar, would create one hell of a bizarre run later!
zed255
Distiller

Re: Consolidating faints

Post by zed255 »

IMHO, an all feints run should be done with a reflux rig with the goal being neutral alcohol. I put it all together and just run it when I get to a full boiler charge (diluted to not more than 40% ABV). My experience is that there will be a bigger heads cut but with enough hearts to make it worthwhile. The feints collection sure smelled weird but made me about 3 gallons of good neutral that is surprisingly clean despite the mix of things mixed in.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Reaverman
Novice

Post by Reaverman »

zed255 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:34 am IMHO, an all feints run should be done with a reflux rig with the goal being neutral alcohol. I put it all together and just run it when I get to a full boiler charge (diluted to not more than 40% ABV). My experience is that there will be a bigger heads cut but with enough hearts to make it worthwhile. The feints collection sure smelled weird but made me about 3 gallons of good neutral that is surprisingly clean despite the mix of things mixed in.
That's cool, as I have a reflux still and tbh makes it easier to manage.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I just had a ujssm feints run which smelled very vinegary .im guessing that because I had kept the heads and tails seperatly in different containers that the tails went bad? Maybe my aging container? Any thoughts or tips on how to avoid this
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

SGB wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:21 pm I just had a ujssm feints run which smelled very vinegary .im guessing that because I had kept the heads and tails seperatly in different containers that the tails went bad? Maybe my aging container? Any thoughts or tips on how to avoid this
I've never kept them separate and never had a problem. I've had exceptional results from putting them on toasted, charred, oak and putting the oak in the pot on All Feints day.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

NZChris wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:36 pm
SGB wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:21 pm I just had a ujssm feints run which smelled very vinegary .im guessing that because I had kept the heads and tails seperatly in different containers that the tails went bad? Maybe my aging container? Any thoughts or tips on how to avoid this
I've never kept them separate and never had a problem. I've had exceptional results from putting them on toasted, charred, oak and putting the oak in the pot on All Feints day.
That should be an international distillers holiday right there! :lol:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:48 pm That should be an international distillers holiday right there! :lol:
Ha ha :thumbup:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I have a still charge worth that I haven't gotten around to distilling for weeks, if not months, because it's been too hot in the shed for my comfort and because haste isn't a virtue when distilling. It's AG feints with some fresh wash added and some toasted, charred, oak. It looks like fine whiskey, but I've just tasted it and it's pretty nasty and I'll be tasting tails on my breath for at least the next hour :D
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

"All Feints Day"
Now that deserves a right BBQ
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

All Feints Day should be at least a couple of years after your first All Feints run. I have quite a few aging All Feints jars that would be very suitable for BBQ day sampling. :D
Reaverman
Novice

Post by Reaverman »

'All Feins Day', should be a national holiday right after we get out of Lockdown :clap:
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

NZChris wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:05 pm I have a still charge worth that I haven't gotten around to distilling for weeks, if not months, because it's been too hot in the shed for my comfort and because haste isn't a virtue when distilling. It's AG feints with some fresh wash added and some toasted, charred, oak. It looks like fine whiskey, but I've just tasted it and it's pretty nasty and I'll be tasting tails on my breath for at least the next hour :D
That is an interesting idea adding oak to the feints and the pot! Do you include heads in feints? Must mellow heads some if you do. How well does the oak flavours come over when you distil the feints?
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I age heads and tails together, on oak, with 1/3 headspace for some O2, sometimes giving them the Hurry Up before All Feints day. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55301

I don't think much oak comes over, I just get a better yield of hearts.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

If I am consolidating feints from different runs I am looking for a neutral for a possible gin thus I am more apt to use my slower VM still as opposed to my CM.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

UJSSM
Using my pot still:
More than following Uncle Jesse's suggestion,
I put the whole of the first spirit run into the second spirit run.
And then the whole of the second spirit run into the third spirit run.

I have had the 'third' and 'fourth' spirit runs sitting in about half litre, open, jars for about four days,
labelled with run number, jar number and abv when filled.

I plan to mingle the 'keepings' so as to get better flavour in the third lot than if I kept it separate,
as Uncle Jesse says it improves as you go along.

I am not confident of making the cuts entirely by taste and smell so will be guided a fair bit by alcohol level.

So I will put obvious heads as feints into the next spirit run. As Uncle Jesse suggested.
With perhaps some wash as well...

And I think I will put the tails in the next strip run which will give them two more times through the still,
thus keeping the better part and allowing the rubbish part to be removed with the discard water.

That's the theory anyway.
And the reason is that if I keep all the tails in the feints collection and distil them
for neutral spirit, I will be drowning in the stuff. Far too much for what I do.

But what do you think?
I need all the help I can get here.

Geoff
Last edited by The Baker on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Baker
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Some of my tastiest runs have been all feints. May be some sugar head, some UJSSM, may be some bad store brand, may be some all grain. It's all garbage stuff. Everything but forshots. I usually collect heavy into the tails down below 20%, whenever I cut the power. Like a garbage pizza. Lots of fun flavors.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

6 Row Joe wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:03 pm Some of my tastiest runs have been all feints. May be some sugar head, some UJSSM, may be some bad store brand, may be some all grain. It's all garbage stuff. Everything but foreshots. I usually collect heavy into the tails down below 20%, whenever I cut the power. Like a garbage pizza. Lots of fun flavors.
Thanks, Joe.
That's another thought. A really good one.
Doesn't have to be neutral, can be a mystery drop.

Geoff
The Baker