What a fool was I spending years with sugar heads!

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kyolic
Bootlegger

What a fool was I spending years with sugar heads!

Post by kyolic »

I am a home distiller of 4 years and today I distilled my first corn AG mash (45 liters at 8.5 ABV - zero sugar added).

HUGE difference compared to the sugar heads I've been making including UJJSM!!!

After 4 years, what I am drinking today finally qualifies as whisky -not moonshine.

To all people who still haven't jumped on AG wagon: You have no idea what you are missing!

Cheers.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: What a fool was I spending years with sugar heads!

Post by StillerBoy »

Welcome to the world of learning..

You finally conquered the fear of trying AG..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:16 am Welcome to the world of learning..

Mars
Indeed Mars! :thumbup:

I'll never make a sugar head again till I die. I mean it.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Sugar wash are good to start learning the hobby, but not for neat drinking..

They are for gin, pastis, apple pie, essences or other liqueur, and mixing with something else..

AG are meant to be drank neat, most of the time anyways, as they have the flavors that is missing in sugar wash..

Mars
Last edited by StillerBoy on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:35 am Sugar wash are good to start learning the hobby, but for neat drinking..

They are for gin, pastis, apple pie, essences or other liqueur, and mixing with something else..

AG are meant to be drank neat, most of the time anyways, as they have the flavors that is missing in sugar wash..

Mars
Totally agree, sugar has it’s place in the hobby but it’s hard to beat an AG whiskey and in my case and taste rye whiskey is my go to whiskey.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

kyolic wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:10 am
To all people who still haven't jumped on AG wagon: You have no idea what you are missing!
+1

I wouldn't say you're a fool, just that you made the move to AG when the time was right for you.

For me, a fair portion of this hobby has been learning to deal with the unknown and just keep moving forward. And with experience comes confidence and a whole new world of AG creativity. You're now headed down a different rabbit hole, totally exciting!

Congrats on your new journey.

Twisted
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Congratulations. AG is a different animal, but not really that difficult if you apply a few simple methods posted here like SCD's Easy large batch mashing proceedure. Im still very new to this hobby, but just pitched yeast on my 6th 25 gallon AG mash this morning. Every mash seems to teach me something new, but Im still consistantly hitting my target SG and learning more about fermentation to dial in my processes a bit more.
I did do a sugar wash (Shady's Sugar Shine) a couple of weeks ago just to get some neutral for girly drinks and Bloody Mary's, a gallon and a half of 95% neutral shine will last a long time keeping SWMBO happy while I keep building up aging stock in the shed.

Enjoy the journey.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

kyolic wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:20 am
StillerBoy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:16 am Welcome to the world of learning..

Mars
Indeed Mars! :thumbup:

I'll never make a sugar head again till I die. I mean it.
It don't hurt to throw some sugar on perfectly good spent AG. Gotta give something to the in-laws.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

SmokyMtn wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:45 pm It don't hurt to throw some sugar on perfectly good spent AG. Gotta give something to the in-laws.
I agree. Sugar heads done correctly are very good and should be a part of every stiller’s learning curve.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”