Help - why does my NS taste like fire-water?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Help - why does my NS taste like fire-water?

Post by MartinCash »

I have also had very good results for neutral with the Deathwish wheat germ wash, and Teddysad's fast-fermenting vodka, which are pretty similar to each other.

Make sure you get a little of the hearts of each strip to taste. It might help you identify whether the taste is coming from the wash (it probably is).
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Chris and I both asked about whether you'd tested your hydrometer. Specifically, if it's reading low, you might be saving higher proof than you think you are. That will make anything seem harsher via concentration.
Anvil
Novice

Post by Anvil »

bilgriss wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:06 pm Chris and I both asked about whether you'd tested your hydrometer. Specifically, if it's reading low, you might be saving higher proof than you think you are. That will make anything seem harsher via concentration.
Hi,

Apologies for the delay in response - selling our house, so lots of associated drama...

A few nights ago I laid down 100l (2x 50l fermenters) of ShadyShine and it is bubbling away nicely.

I also tested my hydrometer (filtered tap water at the hydrometer's reference temp of 20 deg C). It read one point (0.001) low, so I figured that was pretty good. I will do a 10% sugar solution and check for 1.040 when I get a chance.

Many thanks again, Anvil.