An observation

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DJR1967
Novice

An observation

Post by DJR1967 »

This may not be the right spot for this topic but maybe if the moderators have a better spot I think its a topic that could lead to some interesting observations to share...

So...I am a bourbon lover and have a pretty decent collection of about 30 or so different bourbons. After having made a few runs and sampling cuts, I am beginning to get a newer appreciation for the senses and what to look for in both work in progress, as well as finished product. Now each time I pour a drink...I put my nose right into the glass and inhale and take in the different aromas and attributes, hoping to make myself a more appreciative bourbon fan, as well as sharpen my senses to know what to look for in cuts.

For example...one of my repeat buys was New Riff bourbon. My last drink I poured I just...smelled it for about two minutes. One thing that really stuck out was a very distinct scent of acetone. I never noticed this before...

Anyone have any other similar observations??
contrahead
Trainee

Re: An observation

Post by contrahead »

I can't speak for the other aficionados here, but I've been too busy melting nose hairs and numbing taste-buds with my own delicious corn liquor; to pay $58 a bottle for a strange bottle which comes from a new distillery that I've never heard of before.

Looking New Riff up online just now, it appears that the company was started up just 7 years ago, by a fancy pants “visionary Kentucky liquor retailer and entrepreneur”. It also appears that just days ago (9/April/2021) the company announced plans to invest US$2M to expand operations; upping production from 8,000 to 12,000 barrels per year.

Not knowing much about acetone either, I researched that briefly too. Acetone is an unwanted byproduct that is unlikely to appear in my product, because it is produced by the fermentation of anaerobic bacteria.

Acetone is useful as a solvent, so today it is produced predominately from petroleum feedstock. During both World Wars though it was fermented and distilled from big vats of molasses water; using no yeast, but the anerobic Clostridium acetobutylicum, Clostridium beijerinckii or Clostridium saccharobutylicum bacteria.
Last edited by contrahead on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omnia mea mecum porto
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I don’t drink it much nower days but about year ago , I was nosing a drink of Jack Daniels and it had a predominant Propan-1ol smell to it .That destintintive strong tails smell that lingers in a packed column after a run .

Was curious about this so fond a different bottle of Jack and it was there also but barely noticeable.

I wonder if its inconsistencies between batches or varying sensitivity to the nasel or taste receptors .
I certainly know this ti be a thing . Somedays I can sip my Rum and its smooth and tasty , the next day I’m picking up stuff in I would prefer not to .
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Sure. All the time.

You will now be able to evaluate from the inside out.
Rather than from outside in.

Congratulations on growing your point of view.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I've seen folks on this site comment how commercial stuff is more "headsy" than their homebrew. More heads = more headaches!

This is done for the almighty dollar by the big boys. Think of their volumes - cutting out even just an extra 10% of a run = thousands of gal/year they don't make $$$ from...
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Yes I notice a heads/acetone smell in most commercial bourbons. Not all, but most. The beauty is now that you pick up on it you can eliminate it from your own stuff if you want. I tried some Weller Antique 107 for the first time this past weekend. It was wonderful, no heads and very smooth. Jimbo's wheated bourbon recipe made with good cuts is just as wonderful in my opinion.
Plain ole pot rig.