Brew kettle

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BertaCowboy
Novice

Brew kettle

Post by BertaCowboy »

Not sure if this is the right place to post but Im looking to upgrade from a keg to something easier to clean for my collum still and i found these. Has anyone run one of these for your stills? I see it looks very similar to the turbo 500 setup. Or would i be better off getting a big kettle and putting an element in it?
Thanks fellas
Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 3.31.31 PM.png
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Brew kettle

Post by Deplorable »

You already have the best vessel for a boiler. You just need to add a 6 inch ferrule to the top for a clean out/fill port. If you're running gas heat, add a 2" TC at the bottom for an element, as well as a 1 inch or 1.5 inch for a drain, and you're done.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

For the price of that BertaCowboy, you could probably have everything done to your keg that Deplorable is talking about...
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Why are you worried about cleaning.......for years many many of us used a standard beer keg with two inch opening.
They just need a quick rinse out after use.
All of these fancy looking boilers with huge openings have only become trendy since tri clamps and ferules became easily available.
Yes they can make things easier........but it shouldnt stop you from distilling if you only have a standard beer keg.