I Want To Build A Still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

I Want To Build A Still

Post by RedMick »

Apologies in advance if this is not the right forum but, as the title says, I want to build a still.

I've only ever used the air still (I know, I know) with sugar washes and want to spread my wings a little further and don't really want to go down the T500 route.

I've done numerous searches on line and cant seem to find anyone who will sell a single keg. I've been offered a 50L SS keg that came out of pub that's closed down but it's got makers marks on it so if possible I'd rather avoid it and buy one legally.

Once I have the keg, I'll then be asking for advice on how to do the conversion and the column build.

So, first thigs first. Where can I buy a single 50L SS keg in the UK ??

Or am I trying to run before I can walk ?? If so, what other options should I consider ??
Squint
Bootlegger

Re: I Want To Build A Still

Post by Squint »

RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RedMick »

Squint wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:53 pm https://www.brewersselect.co.uk/kegs/

here you go
Thanks. I've come across the same keg on brew UK.

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/crusader-keg-50l.html

There's quite a difference in the price. May be the Brew UK one includes delivery costs.

Is it my eyesight or does the coupler valve on the keg in both in yours and my link look triangular with rounded corners ????
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

RedMick wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:38 am
I've done numerous searches on line and cant seem to find anyone who will sell a single keg. I've been offered a 50L SS keg that came out of pub that's closed down but it's got makers marks on it so if possible I'd rather avoid it and buy one legally.
There is a certain irony in wanting a legal keg for an illegal activity...

That said, I don't see why the keg from the pub is illegal. The pub bought and paid for it, is theirs to do with as they will.

You asked for any other options, one is to build a keg from copper. Really fun and pretty easy to do. No need to worry about getting enough copper in the path. I love mine.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Certainly around here , the pubs don’t own the kegs . The brewery's do .
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Hmm, well maybe I am wrong on that. Back when I worked in a bar there was a deposit. If a keg was short the bar was charged the deposit. Then it was theirs to do whatever with. But that was a long time ago and in a different country.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Sorry yes the pubs have to pay a refundable deposit here too , but its only an incentive to return the keg , its not ownership .
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I purchase my kegs from these guys.
I don’t know what shipping would be but maybe they can help
https://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbe ... index.html
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RedMick »

stillanoob wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:45 pm

That said, I don't see why the keg from the pub is illegal. The pub bought and paid for it, is theirs to do with as they will.

You asked for any other options, one is to build a keg from copper. Really fun and pretty easy to do. No need to worry about getting enough copper in the path. I love mine.
It's definitely illegal in the UK. The keg I have access to has the hirers stamps on it. It would take a bit of work to remove them which I'have no problem doing but, I want to post pictures of the build in progress on here but don't want to risk upsetting the powers that be.

Building a copper still does sound fun but I'd probably end up with a pile of scrap copper.

I emailed the company from the link Squint kindly posted and my eyesight was correct. The keg does have a triangular fitting with rounded corners. Here's the reply.
The picture shows a keg with a G-type safety spear fitted. This does indeed have a rounded triangular shape. The keg will also take an S-type and an A-type fitting which both look different.
With that in mind, would this keg work when it comes to coupling the column to the valve with tri clamps ??? I'm not so sure and it could end up being an expensive mistake.
RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RedMick »

Windy City wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:00 am I purchase my kegs from these guys.
I don’t know what shipping would be but maybe they can help
https://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbe ... index.html
Thanks but the shipping fees would be more than the keg.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Hey RedMick
That link you posted says comes with a S coupler which would work fine for our application

RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RedMick »

Windy City wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:07 am Hey RedMick
That link you posted says comes with a S coupler which would work fine for our application

I've just re read that and it says 'safety spear'. Is the safety spear not the part that screws into to fixed connecter on the keg ?
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

My kegs still have the brand name on them. At least one I got was from buying a full keg, drinking it with friends and forfeiting the deposit. Is that illegal? Maybe so. However, I can't say I have lost any sleep over it. But then I have any number of milk crates that threaten me with a $1500 fine and I habitually cut the tag off of mattresses and pillows that say it is against the law...
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

RedMick wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:03 am
Windy City wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:07 am Hey RedMick

I've just re read that and it says 'safety spear'. Is the safety spear not the part that screws into to fixed connecter on the keg ?
I saw that also, but being that spears are not interchangeable between couplers I would believe it to represent the whole coupler including spear. I would double check before ordering but that should work
RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RedMick »

Managed to acquire one on Ebay for £25.

Best get the elbow grease out.
KEG - Copy.jpg
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

I want to build a still too I'm running a purchased boiler/controller with a built shotgun
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

stillanoob wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:54 pm My kegs still have the brand name on them. At least one I got was from buying a full keg, drinking it with friends and forfeiting the deposit. Is that illegal? Maybe so. However, I can't say I have lost any sleep over it. But then I have any number of milk crates that threaten me with a $1500 fine and I habitually cut the tag off of mattresses and pillows that say it is against the law...
Some people say you have more than paid for it with the deposit but what I have read in the past is that it is still illegal to own without outright buying the keg.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

RedMick wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:34 am
stillanoob wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:45 pm

It's definitely illegal in the UK. The keg I have access to has the hirers stamps on it. It would take a bit of work to remove them which I'have no problem doing but, I want to post pictures of the build in progress on here but don't want to risk upsetting the powers that be.

Building a copper still does sound fun but I'd probably end up with a pile of scrap copper.

I emailed the company from the link Squint kindly posted and my eyesight was correct. The keg does have a triangular fitting with rounded corners. Here's the reply.
The picture shows a keg with a G-type safety spear fitted. This does indeed have a rounded triangular shape. The keg will also take an S-type and an A-type fitting which both look different.
With that in mind, would this keg work when it comes to coupling the column to the valve with tri clamps ??? I'm not so sure and it could end up being an expensive mistake.
under the g-coupler there is a standard beer keg ferrule. to remove the saftey spear, decompress and turn loose. grab the inner part of the valve with pliers and push down. turn 1/4 turn clockwise. it will drop right in
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RedMick »

Well I sort of paid for it outright on Ebay but I wouldn't fancy that excuse holding up with the plod should they pay me a visit.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

RedMick wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:23 am Well I sort of paid for it outright on Ebay but I wouldn't fancy that excuse holding up with the plod should they pay me a visit.
I am guessing you live in England. Should Mr. Plod pay you a visit he will be much more upset about other things. I doubt the police will worry about the legality of your keg and be more concerned with what you are doing with it.

Hadn't thought of Mr. Plod in a long time. My Dad was from England and so we had the Noddy books. Which I guess are now Naughty books. Anyway, don't tell and don't sell and make sure your neighbors have no idea what is going on and you will be fine.
RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RedMick »

stillanoob wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:13 am
RedMick wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:23 am Well I sort of paid for it outright on Ebay but I wouldn't fancy that excuse holding up with the plod should they pay me a visit.
I am guessing you live in England. Should Mr. Plod pay you a visit he will be much more upset about other things. I doubt the police will worry about the legality of your keg and be more concerned with what you are doing with it.

Hadn't thought of Mr. Plod in a long time. My Dad was from England and so we had the Noddy books. Which I guess are now Naughty books. Anyway, don't tell and don't sell and make sure your neighbors have no idea what is going on and you will be fine.
I'm from Liverpool which unfortunately is part of England.

You are right. As the 2nd world war saying went. 'Loose lips, sink ships'.