Iodine test accidentally tossed back into mash

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tlkmap
Novice

Iodine test accidentally tossed back into mash

Post by Tlkmap »

:?:
Hello,
I’m new to this hobby. I have a good mentor who’s been helping me. I bought a stove-top still on amazon and have been distilling asian pear mash (I have a very prolific tree) for a couple of years now which I’ve improved to where I enjoy it a lot. My mentor makes very good from-grain products and so I thought I’d give it a go.
I made a mash today (12 #s of malted barley to 6 gallons of water) and after converting I tossed the iodine test back into the mash instead of throwing it away. Has anyone done this or heard of it being done? Did I ruin the mash? I plant to pitch the yeast but wondering if I’m waisting my time.
Thanks
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Iodine test accidentally tossed back into mash

Post by 8Ball »

You are ok. I’ve done it too. They add iodine to salt and you put it on skin wounds so should be fine with that little bit.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Tlkmap
Novice

Post by Tlkmap »

That’s the answer I wanted to read. Thanks!
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

For what I know, iodine tincture is toxic if ingested.
I don't know if that's bad for the yeast, but for you, it ain't good.
I don't know whether it will come up with the vapours or it will remain in the kettle.
Also, it's the dose that makes the poison, so feel free to test on your body the effect of iodine tincture on a mash :wink:

Every homebrewing manual instructs NOT to put the iodine test back into the kettle, because it is poisonous.
Tlkmap
Novice

Post by Tlkmap »

Thanks. After consideration I’m not worried. It was only a few drops for 6 gallons. I doubt it will hurt anything. BTW the mash is looking and smelling really good!
Thanks
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Personally , I agree that an accidental few drops on a one off wouldn’t matter but you certainly wouldn’t want to put every test back in the mash .