Finished product color

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PoppaW
Bootlegger

Finished product color

Post by PoppaW »

What makes the final aged product different colours. Single malt has a brownish colour at 7 months. Alder smoked Barley (80% barley) has a light yellow colour at 5 months. My bourbon has a reddish and very dark colour at 3 months. The wood is all the same source so I would assume the grain makes the colour. The proof is the same for all while aging. I may have answered my own question but I alway wonder why these things happen.
Thanks
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Re: Finished product color

Post by Toxxyc »

The colour comes from the wood. Different toast, char and volume will contribute different colours to the whisky.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Colore prodotto finito

Post by Demy »

If the abv is the same and the type of wood is identical, is there the variable quantity of wood?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Interesting! Unless the char/toast/quantity/volume of wood/spirits and ABV is different i'd also expect the color to be very similar...

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

PoppaW,
As said above, it’s mostly about the wood type, wood treatment and time.

I made a few threads where I played around with various woods and treatments (toasts/char). I took lots of pictures that show how varying toast levels, char, and different woods look compared to each other. To see those pics, check out two of the threads I show in my signature below, Learning to toast and using Fruitwood for aging.

Otis

PS. That fruitwood thread also shows some oaked products as well.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

Thanks for the info. The volume of wood is similar for the scotch and bourbon for the volume of product and those are close in colour. I checked my alder smoked and it looks like I was told to age it longer and used some once used wood so that makes sense. I will try to get a pic of the bourbon and single malt to compare. It looks like a big difference to me.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Colore prodotto finito

Post by Demy »

If you want to make a comparison, you have to eliminate as much as possible the variables: same wood, same quantity (weight), same abv, same quantity of alcohol. Only in this way will you get results from which to start.