Unsure what I'm collecting

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Liamo
Novice

Unsure what I'm collecting

Post by Liamo »

Doing a first proper spirit run, 30Litres of low wines in the boiler. Collected 7L in wine bottles and then switched to beer bottles to get into the hearts. The stuff coming off now has no smell, compared to hints of nail polish at the start, which is good. But my refractometer is showing 0%, it won't light in a shallow saucer, and when I wet my finger and licked it, it just tasted like water. Could I have somehow lost the alcohol or something? The low wines were sitting in a closed off keg for about 10 days before the strip, only thing I can think of is that it evaporated most of the alcohol in that time. Very confused!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Unsure what I'm collecting

Post by still_stirrin »

Liamo wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:06 am Doing a first proper spirit run, 30Litres of low wines in the boiler. Collected 7L in wine bottles and then switched to beer bottles to get into the hearts. The stuff coming off now has no smell, compared to hints of nail polish at the start, which is good. But my refractometer is showing 0%, it won't light in a shallow saucer, and when I wet my finger and licked it, it just tasted like water. Could I have somehow lost the alcohol or something? The low wines were sitting in a closed off keg for about 10 days before the strip, only thing I can think of is that it evaporated most of the alcohol in that time. Very confused!
Got a Proof & Traille (alcometer) hydrometer? Use that. The refractometer is used for measuring sugar content, not alcohol. So, it (theoretically) measures “alcohol potential”.

Clean ethanol tastes slightly sweet, but has little taste (kinda like water). But it certainly will warm your chest, so you’d definitely know it’s not water.

But I seriously doubt ALL the alcohol would have evaporated from the low wines. Did the volume depreciate proportionately? Did you measure the %ABV of the low wines? If so, what tool did you use?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Liamo
Novice

Post by Liamo »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:56 am
Liamo wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:06 am Doing a first proper spirit run, 30Litres of low wines in the boiler. Collected 7L in wine bottles and then switched to beer bottles to get into the hearts. The stuff coming off now has no smell, compared to hints of nail polish at the start, which is good. But my refractometer is showing 0%, it won't light in a shallow saucer, and when I wet my finger and licked it, it just tasted like water. Could I have somehow lost the alcohol or something? The low wines were sitting in a closed off keg for about 10 days before the strip, only thing I can think of is that it evaporated most of the alcohol in that time. Very confused!
Got a Proof & Traille (alcometer) hydrometer? Use that. The refractometer is used for measuring sugar content, not alcohol. So, it (theoretically) measures “alcohol potential”.

Clean ethanol tastes slightly sweet, but has little taste (kinda like water). But it certainly will warm your chest, so you’d definitely know it’s not water.

But I seriously doubt ALL the alcohol would have evaporated from the low wines. Did the volume depreciate proportionately? Did you measure the %ABV of the low wines? If so, what tool did you use?
ss
I do have one alright, I ran the whole batch through again a third time. The hydrometer is also reading 0% and I'm pretty sure it's distilled water I'm collecting now. No sensation of alcohol whatsoever on the tongue or the throat. Absolutely bizarre.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

30lt of say 30% low wines will be 9 lt of 100%... what still are you running? pot or reflux. if reflux you might have collected most. 7lt as fores and heads seems just too much on 30lt of low wines...
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Liamo wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:55 amI do have one alright, I ran the whole batch through again a third time. The hydrometer is also reading 0% and I'm pretty sure it's distilled water I'm collecting now. No sensation of alcohol whatsoever on the tongue or the throat. Absolutely bizarre.
HYDROMETER or ALCOMETER?

A hydrometer won't give you any kind of ABV output reading.
Cristof
Novice

Post by Cristof »

Maybe someone drank low wines and put water in keg 😅

Did you taste some of first 7l? Maybe all alcohol is there.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Cristof wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:46 pm Did you taste some of first 7l? Maybe all alcohol is there.
+1

Did you get ANY alcohol and if so, how much? You haven’t provided much info to go on ...
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

8Ball wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:01 am
Cristof wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:46 pm Did you taste some of first 7l? Maybe all alcohol is there.
+1

Did you get ANY alcohol and if so, how much? You haven’t provided much info to go on ...
nope, he said 7lt of fores and heads. that why i said 30lt at 30% will be 9lt of 100% and that 7lt of fores and heads is too much...? maybe i read wrong?
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?