Fermenting time

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dalejam
Novice

Fermenting time

Post by Dalejam »

Hi guys I have done the vinegar run through my system. Hoping that will get rid of some bad tastes. After my last post I realized plastic house is a no no.

So I did a new mash on Saturday
6Lb rye malt
8Lb sugar
15 Lb flacked corn
Starting OG 1.080
This is all in a 10 gallon cooler
Plus another 5 gallon jug

But I did a reading today 4 days later and it is not fermenting, has a OG OF 1.010.

I do know when it says 1.000 it is as this as water.
So tests say it’s done. Question is it really possible to be done.
Smells like beer when you open the top.
Any help
Appreciated again

Dale
Not sure
Bootlegger

Re: Fermenting time

Post by Not sure »

Run it if it smells like beer to you
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Did you filter the sample that you used to take your gravity reading? If it has a lot of particulate and grain in it that will throw off your reading. If you give it a few more days and filter your sample I bet you'll see a lower gravity. Sounds like it's just about there though. 4 days is booking it but not impossible.
Plain ole pot rig.
Dalejam
Novice

Post by Dalejam »

I will let it sit till Saturday . Check the OG then.
When you say filter it ? Strain it through a cloth ?

Thanks for the help as usual
Dale
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Yes a cloth, paper towel, coffee filter, just about anything. You just don't want solids in it when checking gravity.
Plain ole pot rig.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Dip a finger in and taste it .....should be no sweetness if its done .....look for dry , tart, sour.
Is it not fermenting or is it just not bubbling through the air lock?......are their any grains floating on top or are they all sunk to the bottom ?
Dalejam
Novice

Post by Dalejam »

So it taste nasty it has setament on the bottom. For I drained some off and it was thick. So I think it is done. Not sweet at all .
Will tell you on Saturday .
Thanks all appreciate the help
Dale
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Dalejam wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:10 pm setament on the bottom
Dalejam wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:10 pm Not sweet at all .
Done ...run it! :thumbup:
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

1.080 to 1.010 it has fermented out. All grain often finishes above 1.000.
Dalejam
Novice

Post by Dalejam »

B3BDA6FF-9FF6-40AC-8728-FA7895FED1D5.jpeg
So I ran my wash 5 gallons of it. The one posted above . I was expecting some taste of corn . None . But the smell is not bad , but it is 150, burns your younger and lips. So I know I have to knock it down.

But does all moonshine have the smell and taste of rubbing alcohol. Or am I doing something wrong ?
I know I can knock it down to 40 and blend it in with something. But Everytine some one gives me moonshine it is flavored and you can’t taste what I am tasting .

Waiting for comments and direction.
I do have a thumper will try it tomorrow if I have time.

Dale
4F10A43D-1114-4CF8-9D71-7910D0621CC2.jpeg
531D5C8D-065C-4AEE-97A6-5142837425A8.jpeg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Dalejam wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:47 pmSo, I ran my wash 5 gallons of it. The one posted above . I was expecting some taste of corn. None. <— Well, you made a “grain flavored sugar wash”. The sugar depletes the grain flavors, so it’s not too surprising you can’t “taste the corn and rye grains”. At least not with the paradigm you might have.

Of note, corn imparts a sweet taste, not the buttery corn flavor you’d expect from the beer. And rye has a spicy note, often towards the backend of your taste....right before you swallow. With time, you’ll begin to understand how the grains come over into the spirit.

But the smell is not bad , but it is 150, burns your younger and lips. So I know I have to knock it down. <— At 75%ABv, your taste buds will be numbed, such that you won’t really be able to taste the spirit. Certainly, as a new distiller without experience to what you’re tasting, you won’t know “shit from Shine-ola”.

But does all moonshine have the smell and taste of rubbing alcohol. Or am I doing something wrong ? <— More than likely, you’ve made poor cuts...getting greedy are you?

I know I can knock it down to 40 and blend it in with something. But Everytine some one gives me moonshine it is flavored and you can’t taste what I am tasting. <— Too bad you don’t have better “judgement”. Often times “flavored moonshine” is an attempt to cover up bad liquor...from someone who doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Waiting for comments and direction.

Dale
If you take it all as low wines, cut to 40%ABV and rerun it, and then make good (conservative) cuts, you’ll have something better to age and bottle.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Dalejam
Novice

Post by Dalejam »

I am trying to make cuts I fill the jar about 1/2 to a 1/4 then a new jar goes in I end up with a lot of jars . Some are better smelling . But taste still numbs , and it burns.
In time I will figure it out .
You are correct I don’t know shit from shinola, that is why I ask take that info and try again.
I like to think I will improve. At least I have plenty of riel to run my lawn mower .
I still have another 10 gallons to run tomorrow any suggestions on how long to change out the jars ?

Thanks for the help and info
Dale
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

For right or wrong I collect the first 2 to 3 jars in 500ml, then when % is 80 or so move to 1 litre(in the hearts I feel). Once % drops 2 points I change jars.
Small jars changed more often makes it easier after airing to pick the good ones. Read kiwis novice guide to cuts.
Been reading and learning here for over 10 years and after dozens of runs am still evolving.
Good luck.
Rod01
Last edited by ROD01 on Sat May 01, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Dalejam wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:10 pm I am trying to make cuts I fill the jar about 1/2 to a 1/4 then a new jar goes in I end up with a lot of jars . Some are better smelling . But taste still numbs , and it burns.
In time I will figure it out .
You are correct I don’t know shit from shinola, that is why I ask take that info and try again.
I like to think I will improve. At least I have plenty of riel to run my lawn mower .
I still have another 10 gallons to run tomorrow any suggestions on how long to change out the jars ?

Thanks for the help and info
Dale
Read and follow the Novice guide for pot still cuts linked at the bottom of the page. You can always dump it all back in the still and try again.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

ROD01 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:11 pm 2 to 3 jars in 500ml, then when % is 80 or so move to 1 litre(in the hearts I feel). Once % drops 2 points I change jars.
Small
I wouldnt recommend a newbie take big cuts like that...
More and smaller cuts will teach you a lot faster than a few large ones.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Dalejam wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:47 pm But does all moonshine have the smell and taste of rubbing alcohol.
Even the best of the heart cut can have a hint of rubbing alcohol smell/taste straight off the still. If you cover your jars with a coffee filter or something similar, let them air out for a day or two, they will improve. After making proper cuts the stuff you keep will improve even more after a month or so.
Plain ole pot rig.
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:43 pm
ROD01 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:11 pm 2 to 3 jars in 500ml, then when % is 80 or so move to 1 litre(in the hearts I feel). Once % drops 2 points I change jars.
Small
I wouldnt recommend a newbie take big cuts like that...
More and smaller cuts will teach you a lot faster than a few large ones.
No disagreement here , that is why in the next line I said smaller jars make it easier
Cheers, Rod01
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

you say it tastes like rubbing alc. i always associate that with higher boiling alc. so towards late tails. i think you drive to fast.

run a broken stream, at least in the beginning and collect small. to succeed you need patience.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I use a graduated eye dropper to quickly water down samples to around 40%. If you know the approximate ABV of the sample the graduations make it easy to get in the ballpark of 40%. It also makes for small samples, you want to give it a good smell as much as taste. If you are sipping you will end up drinking too much and hence lose the ability to really taste. While I don't find airing the jars overnight makes too much difference in the smell to me, it does help and doing the cuts the next day after my senses have cleared from running the still is a big help.
Dalejam
Novice

Post by Dalejam »

A61D9FE1-7CBE-4178-8BF1-D76F69784580.jpeg
So I am running my mash with the grain . Using jars and changing them at about 1/4 . And at the 4 th jar most of the smell is gone . Guess I needed to cut longer then I thought.
But it is a 10 gallon run. So I guess I’ll get 2 gallons of end product. Thank you again all for the help in figuring this out .
Still high 130 but that can be cut back.
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

Dalejam wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:47 pm ... and taste of rubbing alcohol. ....
And how do you know what rubbing alcohol tastes like? Curious minds would like to know. If you truly know what it tastes like I would suggest you stop drinking that shit as it is not good for you. :D
Dalejam
Novice

Post by Dalejam »

:crazy: I change my statement, it taste like shit
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

Dalejam wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:38 am :crazy: I change my statement, it taste like shit
And how would you know what shit tastes like? Again curious minds would like to know. LOL. :mrgreen:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Butch27 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:42 am
Dalejam wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:38 am :crazy: I change my statement, it taste like shit
And how would you know what shit tastes like? Again curious minds would like to know. LOL. :mrgreen:
from kissing his dog???
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

Deplorable wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 am
Butch27 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:42 am
from kissing his dog???
I am going to have to give you that one.
Dalejam
Novice

Post by Dalejam »

Sometimes you have have to entertain people
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

White lady.
Methylated spirits and powdered milk.
Not recommended.