Is this correct??

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Is this correct??

Post by NZChris »

That looks like a plastic spigot with a silicone seal and a silicone seal for the mouth of the jar. As I don't know that any of those materials are safe for long term contact with my liquor, (and have reasons to believe that they are not safe), I don't use any of them.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Sonofodin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:48 am OK so am running my first single malt whiskey spirit run. 28 litres or so of low wines at 40% abv with a couple litres of backset on top of that.
Scottish and Irish distillers produce millions of litres of backset (spent lees) annually and they discard it. I think they know what they are doing. I suggest you follow their example and not the example of some amateur enthusiasts. Backset is used in other products, but it is seldom added to low wines.
a steady broken stream.
There is no case for running a pot still like that. Especially for a flavoured product like Whisky where the new make spirit is designed to be characterful at the outset.
Sonofodin
Novice

Post by Sonofodin »

I'll certainly look at the long term storage and aging vessel I'm using. So low and slow doesn't seem to work so well for whiskey, I'm guessing more for reflux and neutrals etc?
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

it depends, my experience is slower works better for me. whether pot stil or reflux. then after 10 plus years i only have 12lt on oak longer than 6 months. i like younger spirits cleaner.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

I have same jar. Take the plastic spigot out and replace with a natural cork. Also a sheet of ptfe under the lid
Sonofodin
Novice

Post by Sonofodin »

Setsumi I love drinking spirits, simple as that, I think I'll prob be the same! Rod 01 great idea bro I will do just that!
Sonofodin
Novice

Post by Sonofodin »

I just want to say a massive thanks again chaps, means a lot, I'm only 5 months into distilling but with your help and support I've come a long way fast, so so much more to learn and experience but well on my way!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

ROD01 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 am I have same jar. Take the plastic spigot out and replace with a natural cork. Also a sheet of ptfe under the lid
Or wrap the seal with plumber's tape.

Geoff
The Baker
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

ROD01 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 am I have same jar. Take the plastic spigot out and replace with a natural cork. Also a sheet of ptfe under the lid
I wouldn't entrust my hard work to a cork at the bottom of an aging vessel unless I had put it in from the inside, maybe, I've never done that.
Sonofodin
Novice

Post by Sonofodin »

Maybe just a new aging vessel?!
Sonofodin
Novice

Post by Sonofodin »

Maybe just a new aging vessel?!
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

NZChris wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:07 pm
I wouldn't entrust my hard work to a cork at the bottom of an aging vessel unless I had put it in from the inside, maybe, I've never done that.
I guess I should have been more specific and not assume . I use a zip tie to make sure cork stays in place.
Cheers
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I have a couple of similar glass vessels . I have replaced the plastic tap with a cork put in the outside .Once it gets wet, it swells in there .
Sonofodin
Novice

Post by Sonofodin »

Do you replace the seal around the tap too or just wrap it in ptfe?
Sonofodin
Novice

Post by Sonofodin »

Hi guys, not sure if anyone is still following this thread but here goes. I have swapped out jars...no spigot! Anyway, when I took out the wood staves and poured the whiskey into 2 separate glass vessels the first jar has stayed pretty clear but the second pour has clouded up beyond all belief! Wtf? Any ideas? I just wonder if carbon filter will help, I know I may strip some flavour potentially but it looks horrendous!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Does it taste OK?

I would never take out the wood this early unless I had used far too much. Even then, I would leave some wood in the jar.

Slow down. Don't expect to replicate 10 year old whiskey in a month or two. Make something else that will taste ok in a few weeks, then make some liquor for aging.
Sonofodin
Novice

Post by Sonofodin »

Hey nzchris, so have replaced the same wood again after switching jars, it's when I poured it out it became cloudy, I've actually carbon filtered using a britta and recharred new wood and replaced like for like, will leave it in for at least 3 months and keep checking. It certainly cleared it a bit but, and here's the big but....I think I hit the tails too much. Added water back into the britta filter to purge it of whiskey and the resulting water looked really oily! Oops there ya go....tails! Just hope the new wood adds some seriously needed bite and crisp flavour. It's smooth but def tailsy. I charred, dunked in water then put in the whiskey, slightly smoking still so maybe that will also infuse some flavour. I really need a reflux so I can make a big batch of neutral for maceration for the quick drink...well quick ish!
Sonofodin
Novice

Post by Sonofodin »

Oh and it tastes OK bit def picking up tails now, pretty disappointed due to the amount of time invested in the fermenting being grain but hey every day is a school day I guess! I still have about 6 litres of feints to play with but dunno if I run it on my little chinese still if I can add some more hearts to the original product to kill the tails a tad.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi, son.

You said, ' I've actually carbon filtered using a brita'.
Others have said the Brita is a no-no.
Apparently it is made with plastic.

Geoff
The Baker
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

Sonofodin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:04 am Do you replace the seal around the tap too or just wrap it in ptfe?
I take everything out, here is mine with the cork held in place
20210516_150228.jpg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

ROD01 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:30 pm I take everything out, here is mine with the cork held in place20210516_150228.jpg
That looks like far too much trouble for me. There have been several of those for sale in my local charity shop recently, but I choose glassware for aging that doesn't come with problems that have to be solved. There were four demijohns that would be safer to use than that in a charity shop I visited today. All they needed was a natural cork bung that I can buy, (I already have enough of both).
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

All good - was just trying to show poster a non-plastic solution to use the jar he had.
Took a minutes to remove the spout, sand a cork for a minute or 2 and no time to wrap the tie around it. I have the ptfe sheets for my mason jars
Cheers, Rod01
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Looks like an agglomerated cork. What do you think will happen to that glue that is holding that cork together as it sits in that solvent?
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

thought it was natural - I will keep an eye on it - thanks for the heads up . Much appreciated
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

ROD01 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:49 pm thought it was natural
You're in a better position to confirm that. I'm just going off a grainy photo.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

ROD01 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:49 pm thought it was natural - I will keep an eye on it - thanks for the heads up . Much appreciated
Do your self a favor and put agglomerated cork in the search bar.

By the time you see something the time to do something has long passed.
be water my friend
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

I have a big natural cork( for sure natural) ordered off Amazon for carboys that I will shave to fit tomorrow,
Thanks guys!
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

You were right, my first cork was not natural
Thank
20210522_142641.jpg
s for catching that it probably save my whiskey
Here is the natural cork wth ptfe tape to be sure.
Thanks again!