Black Treacle rum wash help

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Greenbeast999
Novice

Black Treacle rum wash help

Post by Greenbeast999 »

Doing my first fermentation for distillation, i had a gallon of black treacle (~7.4kg) on hand from another project so set about using that, with no other sugars.
SG was 1.092, initially i didn't heat or add much else apart from baker's yeast.
It got stuck about 1.032, so i added some tomato paste, a multivitamin tablet, extra yeast and a good aeration. Plus put a heat belt on.
7 days later it's down to 1.024.

Shall i leave it be and test again next week? At 1.024 it's only 8.7%
But i wasn't sure about unfermentables.

Thanks
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Black Treacle rum wash help

Post by 8Ball »

Sounds like it is finished. Taste it and if you can’t detect any sweetness then run it.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Greenbeast999
Novice

Post by Greenbeast999 »

8Ball wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:58 am Sounds like it is finished. Taste it and if you can’t detect any sweetness then run it.
I don't know why i didn't think of tasting it, doh!
Back near it next weekend, if it's done i'll run it!
Greenbeast999
Novice

Post by Greenbeast999 »

Ok a week later and it had dropped 1 point, tasted fairly dry. Got impatient and decided to run it.
So it went in the still at 1.023
First couple of jars read 58% on an alcoholometer.
Still running (on the 10th jar) but now reading around 10%
So I have about 6.5litres of distillate.
I'm not sure on best course of action, should I put it all back through or make my cuts from this?
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

So I have about 6.5litres of distillate.
I'm not sure on best course of action, should I put it all back through or make my cuts from this?
[/quote]

Depends if you've got another wash to strip, you could store the 6.5 and fire up your fermenter do another wash, strip that then you should have 13 for a spirit run, combine that with the some stuff left over for volume and run that slowly, or you could do your cuts from the 6.5, totally up to you. My only thought would be that 10 jars for 6.5l doesn't give you a great deal of room to make your cuts. For small patches I collect in 300ml jars and probably only half fill them when I think I'm at the transitions (bit of a taste, smell and abv of the still) Black Treacle Rum sound unreal, good luck :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman