Basic tools for building a still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

coachkdm
Novice

Basic tools for building a still

Post by coachkdm »

I hope to start building a pot still thump keg and condensor this summer. I want to make sure I have the necessary tools. It's been my experience when I start a project, in never have the right tools to finish. I'm hoping to be better prepared this time. I basic stuff, hammer, torch, metal cutters. Any specialty tools, like a particular type of vise grip. Work area setup ect.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Basic tools for building a still

Post by NormandieStill »

I think it would depend on what you're making it from. If you're going to need to cut largeish holes in stainless steel I would recommend tungsten carbide hole saws. The difference is night and day.

A drill press might be useful but is not essential (I don't have one).

In my experience no matter how well prepared you try to be, there will still be that one tool that you need to finish the project. It's a law of physics... don't fight it!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
coachkdm
Novice

Post by coachkdm »

Thanks I'm starting with the 6 gallon still using Pinto's template. I know at some point I will go bigger so I'm trying to build my tool inventory as I go. A hole saw is a good thought. Right now I have a few step drill bits but definitely will add to my list.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

I would really urge you to consider a larger boiler. I have used a 7 gallon for two seasons and I am currently having a larger still built. My opinion is the yield isn't worth the trouble. Honestly, I would recommend a 25 to 30 gallon boiler.

If you think 6 gallon will work go for it. But sooner or later you will regret it.

As for tools, if you're not using rivets. Get some clamps. And solder from the inside. Hide seams on the back side of the still.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Listen to SmokyMtn....I have a 6 gallon, because that was what I had to get going with. I have a larger one in the works, and I wish it was already done.

That is, if you have the room for it. Always a consideration....some of us do, some don't.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Or consider slightly smaller for small batch infusion runs. Ie; gins, sambucca’s, fruit infusions, etc.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I'm going to agree with the others , 6 gal is 22.7 L is on the small side, you will get real bored with that really quickly. I started with a 25L boiler and it wasn't long before I was wishing for bigger.
Spend the time and effort knocking up a keg boiler with a Pot still head and thumper .....much easier and more functional due to size, also quick n easy to build.
If you enjoy building that , there is nothing to stop you from building a pintoshine still of a bigger size later on......and you could use the thumper that you already made for it.
Mr Sippy
Bootlegger

Post by Mr Sippy »

coachkdm wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:43 am I hope to start building a pot still thump keg and condensor this summer. I want to make sure I have the necessary tools. It's been my experience when I start a project, in never have the right tools to finish. I'm hoping to be better prepared this time. I basic stuff, hammer, torch, metal cutters. Any specialty tools, like a particular type of vise grip. Work area setup ect.
Echo the others on larger. I think Pint had a 12 gal version or some instruct on scaling to. Although I have (too) many tools I didn't need much beyond basics. Talking copper here. Work out your method first is my advice. I did have a heavy pipe clamped to the bench for an anvil to hammer rivets. A jig to keep things true and plumb will be appreciated if you add a tall column and want it to look plumb. I used a lock seam on the 6 gal thump and hated it. Too rigid to conform to round, resulted in a flat spot. The boiler has a flat riveted and soldered seam. Nicely round makes fitting the bottom and cap so much easier.

Edit: Have you watched Pints videos on building his still?
20160802_150401.jpg
20160803_114232_001.jpg
20160802_170055_003.jpg
Be Kind, Tell the Truth, Sip Good Whiskey
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

If you are going to rivet clecos are a handy tool to have. They will temporarily hold the sheet in place as you drill the holes. Just make sure to buy the same size clecos as the rivets you are going to use. Once you have all the holes drilled you can easily disassemble the still to remove burs and debris from drilling, then reassemble with the clecos to hold things in place while you rivet. Take a cleco out and install a rivet, repeat. They are mainly used in the aircraft industry for sheet metal fabrication but would work well for this as well. It looks like Amazon has them and I tried to add a link but that does not seem to be working today. Just do a search for cleco fastener on Amazon and it should come up. I will leave the 2 links below just in case they decide to show up later. Be prepared to open your wallet though especially if you are in Canada.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cleco+fasten ... -doa-p_1_5
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I built a pintoshine 12 gallon with the most basic of hand tools. I had the template printed at a local shop. To make it fir with a little more margin to cut I had it scaled down to 97%. This gave more margin to make the cuts. I started with a 3'x5' sheet of copper. I agree with others that you will quickly wish you had a larger still. The 12 gallon has been perfect for me. I can run a 10 gallon batch which is a good size to work with and avoid a puke with temperature control. I have run as little as 1.5 gallons of 30% ABV in it no problem so I can do small experiments too. I am really happy with how well the pintoshine design works and the plans are sized right so the parts all fit together. Here is my build thread:

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p7572807

As to tools, left and right aviation shears, hammer, various pliers, bits of scrap metal, drill, torch is about all I used. I used a hole saw once, for the cap to Lyne arm hole. I didn't have clecos so I used some small machine bolts to hold things together while I riveted. I would get some scrap copper and mess around, which is what I did. Copper is very forgiving and if you like using tools you will enjoy the build process.
coachkdm
Novice

Post by coachkdm »

Wow....thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely will go bigger at some point. Honestly, I was starting small to get practice on making a still and to have something to try different recipes in small batches. I'm goimg to look at the 12 gallon build.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Whatever size you decide on, start a thread for your build. Good luck with it!