Carbon filtering rate question

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ruoris
Novice

Carbon filtering rate question

Post by Ruoris »

For those of you that like to carbon-filter your distillate, what rate do you let it go through the filter?

My setup is adjustable, and I can make it do a litre in anywhere between a few minutes and 10+ hours. But I haven't seen any guidance anywhere on a flow rate to aim for.

How long does it take you to filter your output? (Only really care about answers from people that actually DO carbon filtering.)
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Carbon filtering rate question

Post by StillerBoy »

Ruoris wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:51 pm My setup is adjustable, and I can make it do a litre in anywhere between a few minutes and 10+ hours. But I haven't seen any guidance anywhere on a flow rate to aim for.
How long does it take you to filter your output? (Only really care about answers from people that actually DO carbon filtering.)
http://www.rageuniversity.org/PRISONESC ... LCOHOL.pdf

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Ruoris
Novice

Post by Ruoris »

Hmm. OK. Lots of interesting facts in that.

What HSV do you filter at then? And what volume filtration pipe do you use for that?

This seems like the kind of info that would be more useful in a commercial setup.
Ruoris
Novice

Post by Ruoris »

Actually, never mind, I was flicking back through some posts and found one that answers my question pretty well from just the other day. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... &p=7666858

"You want to aim for 100ml every 15 minutes. When you start filtering though, you don't want to wait for 15 minutes to see if it is too fast or too slow. So, work on around 2 drops per second."

Perfect. Should have read a bit further before asking.