UJSSM in carboys?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

UJSSM in carboys?

Post by dunluce »

Hi all,

My fermenting vehicles are all glass carboys, and I picked up some cracked corn to look at doing s batch of UJSSM. Never tried it before, and I see the recipe calls for it to be uncooked, and then for only SOME of it to be removed for the next generation.

My question is, how big of a pain in me arse is this going to be? Does the corn soften up and liquify enough that I can just pour some of it out of the carboy, or am I going to have such a mess with it stuck in there that it won't be worth the effort?

And before someone suggests I just go buy a food grade barrel for it.....9x9' room, 14 carboys and two demijohns already....kind of short on room. lol

Thanks all, almost a full year on here and still loving the info that can be gleaned from here!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: UJSSM in carboys?

Post by NZChris »

I'm sure it won't be impossible to drag out a third of the trub each time, but you might have to invent a tool to help you do it.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You don't have room for 5 gallon buckets that nest when not in use?
14 carboys, that's quite a collection. Impressive. I'm down to just one, but wish I had another.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Deplorable wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:31 pm You don't have room for 5 gallon buckets that nest when not in use?
Nothing, my dear friend, is 'not in use'. lol
14 carboys, that's quite a collection. Impressive. I'm down to just one, but wish I had another.
It's like when I was into the fish breeding hobby....the tanks seemed to breed more than the fish. lol
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Let me clarify....I homebrew beer too, so some are mash and some are brews. I'm not an alcoholic.....

....those guys go to meetings. :mrgreen:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

dunluce wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:44 pm Let me clarify....I homebrew beer too, so some are mash and some are brews. I'm not an alcoholic.....

....those guys go to meetings. :mrgreen:
"AA is for quitters."
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Deplorable wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:51 pm "AA is for quitters."
LMAO. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So to get back on topic, I assume that the corn at the end of a ferment is fairly mushy, but still has some firmness.....what would be the best way to remove some of it? Toss in some water, swirl, pour half out, put in the sugar, water, corn and backset and let 'er rip?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You got a thin nozzle for your shop vac that you can fit down the neck of the carboy?
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Definitely not that thin.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I only use carboys for clearing the beer after primary open’ish ferment and degassing (and bulk aging wines / etc). Also use them for collecting low wines in a strip run. 3 gallon carboy for blending fractions after a spirit run and 3 or 5 gallon carboy for saving feints.

My feeling is that it’s going to be a PITA removing the spent corn and you should use a dedicated fermenter if at all feasible. I use 20 and 32 gallon brutes for wine ferments and use them for mashes and other spirit ferments too. They do stack and nest.

I’d like to replace the carboys with stainless vessels one day for safety but I’ve got a bunch of them along with various vacuum pump accessories that also work very well for transfers and degassing so my workflow is fairly well invested in carboys as yours might be with 14 of em!

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I agree with Jonny, you could do it but it will become a pain in the arse quickly.
The grain and yeast bed in the bottom of a UJ fermenter can get fairly solid after a few generations.
A fermenter with a wide mouth will make life easier long term.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to get away with not having yet another fermenter, but guess I will hunt down some new containers.
Dmcmullen
Novice

Post by Dmcmullen »

I keep mine in a fermonster wide mouth and honestly at times it's a pain too get out the spent corn and i am only on generation 4 of ujssm a glass carboy would be dang near impossible.
Nothing to see and nothing to hide.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

See? Better to just ask sometimes! Thanks.
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

Deplorable wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:01 pm You got a thin nozzle for your shop vac that you can fit down the neck of the carboy?
+1 You beat me to it. Find a tube that fits and adapt it to the wet/dry shop vac. Sometimes you can wrap the end with some tape to get things to fit.