What i think i have learned

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

What i think i have learned

Post by Sporacle »

So I've been lurking for around 12months and been signed up for around a month and wanted to post some things that I have learned or think that I have learned
1. Don't get the still you think you want when you start, get something that is able to be adapted down the track. What I thought I wanted which was a T500 with PID control with some other bells and whistles is very different to the simple Pot that I am using now.
2. Don't get to hung up on the little things, I started reading a lot about PH and got a digital meter, did my all grain mash and checked the PH, it wasn't where I wanted it (plus had nothing to adjust it with) went into a flat spin thinking I had stuffed up my mash. It was only a bit out and it is fermenting fine.
3. Take advice from the very knowledgeable people here and if it conflicts then make up your own mind as to who's advice you are going to take, nearly everyone is saying the same thing, they just say it differently
4. As long as its safe, have a go. Cant figure out how to do something ask some questions but most importantly get a general idea and follow the basic steps, if people are like me then you learn though instruction then refine by repeating the tasks practically.
5. You will fail and you will make some nice stuff
6. Read, read and then read some more
7. Finally a massive thanks to all the guys that respond to our new and basic questions, it really is appreciated
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: What i think i have learned

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Some great advice there for Newbies.
It always amazes me how many people jump into buying a still with no real idea of what they really need.
This problem seems to have got worse as more and more cheap junk stills are marketed on line.
I think it happened less back when people had to build thier own because they had to do enough research to build a still that they understood what that still could do before they even started the build.
When all you have to do to become a still owner is push a couple of buttons on a computer it becomes very easy to make the wrong decisions.