brute 32 gallon fermenter

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Magic
Novice

brute 32 gallon fermenter

Post by Magic »

hi all i just bought me a 32 gallon brute from the home depot had the hdpe triangle with 2 in it seen a lot people using for ferment er but
my question is how do you seal it up and add an air lock?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: brute 32 gallon fermenter

Post by Deplorable »

You don't need an air lock. Just eh lid to keep the outside out.
The ferment will create enough CO2 to protect the ferment.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Just a heads up... My understanding is the Brutes are ldpe rather than an hdpe. Not a bad thing but careful about the amount of heat you put into the. One of the members here pushed too much heat into his recently and had some warpage.
Magic
Novice

Post by Magic »

Deplorable wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:20 pm You don't need an air lock. Just eh lid to keep the outside out.
ok good to know i was wondering about that wasnt realy sure\
Magic
Novice

Post by Magic »

tiramisu wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:30 pm Just a heads up... My understanding is the Brutes are ldpe rather than an hdpe. Not a bad thing but careful about the amount of heat you put into the. One of the members here pushed too much heat into his recently and had some warpage.
lol that would be bad i will make sure my wash is cool enough before adding thanks
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

tiramisu wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:30 pm Just a heads up... My understanding is the Brutes are ldpe rather than an hdpe. Not a bad thing but careful about the amount of heat you put into the. One of the members here pushed too much heat into his recently and had some warpage.
That'd be me :D
Be careful pouring boiling water into them and holding the heat for extended periods. Keep the temps below 160F and Im sure they'll last a good long time. Holding 190F for hours on end takes a toll.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Before you use the 32 Gal brute. :wink:
Turn it upside down and check the corners and bottom edge for being too thin.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

shadylane wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:39 pm Before you use the 32 Gal brute. :wink:
Turn it upside down and check the corners and bottom edge for being too thin.
That's what I did. I'm sure the people in HD thought I was a little off when I turned upside-down and over my head to look for light shining through thin spots.
Magic
Novice

Post by Magic »

Deplorable wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:20 pm You don't need an air lock. Just eh lid to keep the outside out.
how do you know when it is through fermenting with out watching bubbles?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Get a brewers hydrometer and check specific gravity as it ferments. It should drop to 0.998 or lower.

Brewer's Elite Hydrometer - for Home Brew Beer, Wine, Mead and Kombucha - Deluxe Triple Scale Set, Hardcase and Cloth - Specific Gravity ABV Tester

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Taste it, all sweetness should be gone when it's done. Or check the gravity with a hydrometer. Once you get a few ferments under your belt you'll figure it out.
*posting on top of Jonny
Plain ole pot rig.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Magic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:09 pm
how do you know when it is through fermenting with out watching bubbles?
You don't need to watch bubbles in an air lock.
Look at the surface for tiny bursting bubbles, and listen for a fizzy noise.

Geoff
The Baker
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Magic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:09 pm how do you know when it is through fermenting with out watching bubbles?
Look and listen to it carefully once every day, note how it looks and sounds as it ferments.........dip a finger and have a taste each day to.
If you do that you will know when its finished....
Magic
Novice

Post by Magic »

yea i have a hydrometer just didnt think i was suppose to take lid off untill done so im guessing its ok thanks everyone for the great advice
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

For future reference. Check to see if you have a barrel and drum distributor close by. My barrel/ drum distributor only sales food grade or factory reconditioned.

I bought 4- 55 gallon hdpe pickle barrels with no lids for $5.00 a piece. I ferment in them and store grain. Making a lid isn't a big deal
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

The hpde food grade blue barrels here are more like 50$ than 5 but they are a lot cheaper than the Brutes.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

tiramisu wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:37 am The hpde food grade blue barrels here are more like 50$ than 5 but they are a lot cheaper than the Brutes.
Pickle barrels have a lid and threaded band similar to mason jars. If the lids and bands are missing like the ones I bought. They're rendered useless to a lot people. Hence the $5.00 price.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.