Apple Apple mash

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dalejam
Novice

Apple Apple mash

Post by Dalejam »

Hello all,
So today I ran my 10 gallon mash. It was 10 gallons of apple juice , no preservites. Added some sugar to bring OG to 1.090.
For the reason the environment would not be good for yeast with all the sugar in it. I added yeast nutrient followed package directions. Then I added my yeast EC-1118.
The next few day it was doing fine then the cold hit. Stopped burping, so I put a tetra water heater into it and later that day it started up again ran a few more days . Then stopped on the 10th day. Checked gravity it was at 5% so I let it sit few more days and it was almost at 1.
Let it settle and filtered all the water out into my still. I have a keg still. Aluminum, goes to a thumper, I put in some of the mash and beat up 10 apples cocked the apples with the mash then mushed them, while warm I put it in the thumper. Had still running already so 4 shoots and heads done. Got 8 pints out of it 140 proof but I really don’t taste apple . @ 140’dontntaste to much.
Yes learned my lesson had about 25 glasses filled just a little to see if I can taste the difference. Not this time.
Open to thoughts on why no Apple taste ?
In the learning phase still .
Thanks
Dale
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Apple Apple mash

Post by Stonecutter »

I’ve used apple juice a few times to make an easy brandy. The apple taste is always rather subtle and takes some time (like months) for the true flavor of your spirit to develop. I’ve never run a thumper.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Also you "watered down" your apple with sugar. This will dilute the flavours some more. You can try straight apple juice (try to get real juice, not stuff from concentrate) but apple brandies need time for the apple flavour to reappear.

This was a wash, not a mash. Mashing is a grain process, there was no starch-to-sugar conversion taking place in your wash.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

What was the SG before you added sugar? Sugar provides alcohol but no flavor, so I'm not surprised that you had a lack of flavor.

"Mash" is a term used for grains only.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

the first tip: abandon the sugar and possibly use very ripe fruits. Even with proper cuts don't expect a flavor bomb but it will have a mild flavor that you can partly manage with equipment / cuts. Another tip is to let your distillate rest to allow complete esterification. It also evaluates post-distillation aromatization, for example with apple peel
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

For information, Calvados is made from freshly squeezed apple juice which is slowly fermented and left to sit on the lees for up to 6 months before being distilled.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

Dalejam wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:02 pm Hello all,
So today I ran my 10 gallon mash. It was 10 gallons of apple juice , no preservites. Added some sugar to bring OG to 1.090.
For the reason the environment would not be good for yeast with all the sugar in it. I added yeast nutrient followed package directions. Then I added my yeast EC-1118.
The next few day it was doing fine then the cold hit. Stopped burping, so I put a tetra water heater into it and later that day it started up again ran a few more days . Then stopped on the 10th day. Checked gravity it was at 5% so I let it sit few more days and it was almost at 1.
Let it settle and filtered all the water out into my still. I have a keg still. Aluminum, goes to a thumper, I put in some of the mash and beat up 10 apples cocked the apples with the mash then mushed them, while warm I put it in the thumper. Had still running already so 4 shoots and heads done. Got 8 pints out of it 140 proof but I really don’t taste apple . @ 140’dontntaste to much.
Yes learned my lesson had about 25 glasses filled just a little to see if I can taste the difference. Not this time.
Thanks
Dale
There must have been a fair amount of alcohol in there, cause you are slurring your words. LOL. How about turning your spell check on and always reread what you have typed before hitting the send button. That would make life easier for all the people trying to help you.

I believe most here have given sound advice and I am not able to add anything else
malt_lover
Novice

Post by malt_lover »

Just sharing my experience, add little cinnamon stick and toasted apple wood chips. Apple flavor will come through.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Dalejam wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:02 pm Hello all,
Thanks
Dale
I can't comment on the apple flavor, but having looked at your setup (in the bad smell thread) if that

keg is aluminum, that is not recommended as a boiler material and I didn't see a thumper.
be water my friend
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

If its a beer keg, its more likely stainless steel than aluminum. Thats a common misconception in his original post. Aluminum kegs are rare. Take an angle grinder to a rim, if it sparks it's stainless.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Tummydoc wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:32 pm If its a beer keg, its more likely stainless steel than aluminum. Thats a common misconception in his original post. Aluminum kegs are rare. Take an angle grinder to a rim, if it sparks it's stainless.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 9#p7664589
be water my friend
Dalejam
Novice

Post by Dalejam »

Sooty for this miss spelling,
It is a stainless steel keg.
Found out if I just add a flavor to it afterwords. Like pomegranate, etc.....

So some hope after all