Friday afternoon in the shed...

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Friday afternoon in the shed...

Post by stillanoob »

Friday afternoon/evening in the shed.
20210514_163827_resized.jpg
20210514_163840_resized.jpg
Doing the spirit run on a batch of HBB. This batch is better than the last. I cut all the strip runs off at 30%, who wants those nasty tails? Then today I figured out how to choke down my burner for an even slower run. Timing of throttling back the burner was perfect and the still started with just a few drops instead of a spurt. And instead of increasing heat to keep the output steady as the run went on I let it slow down until it almost stopped.

Much better than my last run of HBB! The heads/hearts transition was much more distinct. The heart of hearts jars were guzzle-worthy. The tails took longer to show up and were not as distinct. I made conservative cuts and ended up with a little less than 3/4 of a gallon @65%. Most of it is on oak now. Heading out camping with the grandson today, going up to a favorite place of mine that got burned last year to survey the damage. At least I'll have some white dog HBB to comfort me if it is totally wiped out!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Friday afternoon in the shed...

Post by Deplorable »

Good time to be out in last year's burn. The morel mushrooms should be peaking
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

"Heading out camping with the grandson today, going up to a favorite place of mine"

This is quality time!
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Quality time indeed! The area is in pretty good shape, in fact just the kind of fire you like to see. Some burned spots but many trees survived even in the burned areas. It was warm and nice but still had to warm myself with a little white HBB!
Denis Zen
Novice

Post by Denis Zen »

Impressive! Good job brother!
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Last Friday we did the stripping runs on 29 gallons of apple cider. This Friday we'll be squeezing the spirit run out of the low wines. The following Friday I'll be picking up my van that is getting converted to 4WD. The Friday after that I should be taking two of the grandsons on another camping trip.

Life is good.

Deplorable wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 am Good time to be out in last year's burn. The morel mushrooms should be peaking
Forgot to answer this. It has been too dry up there for much of a mushroom season. Bummer.