Needing a little advice

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Needing a little advice

Post by Justinthunder »

I live in Canada and although I missed my opportunity this week to ferment while the weather was sunny in the mid 20’s I would love to get fired up for the summer. The next couple weeks is supposed to be low to mid teens and around 5-9 at night. Normally I use bakers yeast but I feel these temps might be a little low. Should I go pick up some lavlin ec-1118? I will be doing a first gen ujssm. I just want something to run that I can sip on while the weather warms up a smige more and I can start making my ag whiskeys. I should mention I don’t have any sort of heaters or anything. I do have a couple spare blankets I can use to wrap, my fermenters are 2 20 gallon brute trash cans.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Needing a little advice

Post by Deplorable »

Try US-05. It's been a great fall and winter yeast for me maintaining temps of around 68°F
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I've run sugar washes on bakers yeast (SAF-Instant from LeSaffre / Fermentis, makers of US-05) inside the house with temps between 18C and 21C. I got clean BW washes fermented down to 0.990 ish without any grief, but they did take about 10 days I think to get that low. Obviously being inside the house the temperature variation was lower than outside, but it ran nicely.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

NormandieStill wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:06 pm I've run sugar washes on bakers yeast (SAF-Instant from LeSaffre / Fermentis, makers of US-05) inside the house with temps between 18C and 21C. I got clean BW washes fermented down to 0.990 ish without any grief, but they did take about 10 days I think to get that low. Obviously being inside the house the temperature variation was lower than outside, but it ran nicely.
I used fleichmans bakers yeast inside no problem during the winter at around 20C and it fermented great unfortunately after that my wife told me she doesn’t want her house smelling like a brewery, I’ve been kicked out into my uninsulated shop lol, once later June\July hits I will be fine again.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

My basement stays in the low 60s F during the winter. I've had great luck with DADY yeast doing all grain whiskeys down there. Supposedly the ideal temp for DADY is around 90, but it has performed just fine for me at 60-64. It's very similar to bakers.
Plain ole pot rig.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

Well I got 4 packs of the us-05 and 4 packs of ec-118 for when it warms up a little more, unfortunately I forgot them in my truck glove box while it was +30 for 2 days, do you think the yeast will still be okay? I can only blame myself
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Justinthunder wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:07 pm Well I got 4 packs of the us-05 and 4 packs of ec-118 for when it warms up a little more, unfortunately I forgot them in my truck glove box while it was +30 for 2 days, do you think the yeast will still be okay?
Crapshoot!

Make a starter and see. Less risk that way.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Justinthunder wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:07 pm Well I got 4 packs of the us-05 and 4 packs of ec-118 for when it warms up a little more, unfortunately I forgot them in my truck glove box while it was +30 for 2 days, do you think the yeast will still be okay? I can only blame myself
Sure, check it.
But it will probably be okay.
In the bakery we used compressed yeast blocks but had vacuum sealed granular yeast in case the other ran short.
Used to keep it on the shelf and temperatures got quite hot, sometimes in the high thirties.
Didn't seem to be a problem.

Geoff
The Baker