Yeast too much?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bilge
Novice

Yeast too much?

Post by bilge »

Hello.
I am making house wine since 2009 (in Ankara). Also distill brandy like spirits. I tried the Odin's cornflake and rye whiskies last year and enjoyed a lot. I want to try an all grain whisky from the malt. However, as far as I can see, the amount of yeast used for wash fermenting is quite high. For wine we generally use 1gm/5liters (E.G. Lalvin SC-22). However, for grain based washes I have seen in forums that distillers use as high as 4gm/5 liter! Does yeast dont create off tastes in the distillate? Thank you.
Bilgehan
bilge
Novice

Re: Yeast too much?

Post by bilge »

I think, I posted to the wrong topic. There is no answer :)
Bilgehan
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

bilge wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:47 am... Does yeast dont create off tastes in the distillate?
Well, the yeast itself rarely creates an off taste in the spirit, unless it’s the result of a scorch in the boiler. But, yeast can create a variety of tastes, some which are considered “off tastes”, in a ferment depending on many factors. Over-pitching doesn’t usually contribute to this.

However, overly aggressive ferments can create congeners (a variety of chemical products which may or may not taste good). The ferment temperature can affect this phenomenon as well. Slow ferments tend to be “cleaner”, but that is not always desirable, especially when fermenting a fruit must (for brandy), as a rapid ferment will produce esters which give the product some of its “fruitiness”.

Also, selection of yeast strains can also affect the fermented “distiller’s beer” taste. Some yeasts are better suited for grain mashes because they accentuate the bready, beer-like flavors. This adds a cereal grain flavor to the spirit when distilled. An inexpensive baker’s yeast works great for this purpose although you can spend a lot more for a select “distiller’s yeast strain” that will improve on the product’s taste, although it is questionable to what degree it does improve the flavor. For the hobbiest, expensive select yeasts are hardly worth the investment (personal opinion).

Summarizing, the yeast (selection, pitching rate, and ferment procedure) will contribute to the beer’s flavors and that will affect the flavors and aromas off still. But, rarely does over-pitching a yeast affect the taste of the product.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

I personally use a small heaping table spoon of bakers yeast per 5 gallons of mash. You just need to be patient on these forums not everyone is on every hour.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I use 0.5g/L with my all malt mashes. Usually a combination of FermPro 900 or US-05 and bread yeast. Ambient temperatures determine the yeast ratios since the ferments take place outdoors.

Take the last two digits of your starting (OG) gravity, multiply by 0.03, then multiply again by how many gallons of water you are using: e.g.,

OG 1.065 & 7.5 gallons (28.4L) water:
65*0.03*7.5=14.625 grams yeast for 7.5 gallons water plus grains.
14.625 grams /28.4 Liters =0.515g/L

This is over pitching the yeast by 2X what is considered ‘normal’ to some but it works for me.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

bilge wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:47 am Hello.
I am making house wine since 2009 (in Ankara). Also distill brandy like spirits. I tried the Odin's cornflake and rye whiskies last year and enjoyed a lot. I want to try an all grain whisky from the malt. However, as far as I can see, the amount of yeast used for wash fermenting is quite high. For wine we generally use 1gm/5liters (E.G. Lalvin SC-22). However, for grain based washes I have seen in forums that distillers use as high as 4gm/5 liter! Does yeast dont create off tastes in the distillate? Thank you.
Bilgehan
There's a general rule that says it's quite difficult, practically, for a homebrewer to overpitch yeast. You're going to get worse flavours if you stress the correct amount of yeast than if you treat way too much yeast well. I don't even measure out yeast anymore, I just scoop a lot into the wash and let it do its thing. Weight per liter I'm definitely "overpitching", and it comes out really well.
bilge
Novice

Post by bilge »

Thank you very much to all. Now my AG is bubbling and I am very excited. Thank you.
Bilgehan :D