Air still with Still Spirits Turbo Pure

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kimbodious
Distiller

Re: Air still with Still Spirits Turbo Pure

Post by kimbodious »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:07 pm
kimbodious wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:28 am
going deeper

That schematic suggests taking 1.5 litre out of 4 litre which is certainly ‘going deeper’…… I stop strips at about 1.1 litre ……. beyond that is a waste of energy.
Making neutral maybe, but not if you are on a stripping run for making a flavoured spirit.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

kimbodious wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:07 am
Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:07 pm
kimbodious wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:28 am
going deeper

That schematic suggests taking 1.5 litre out of 4 litre which is certainly ‘going deeper’…… I stop strips at about 1.1 litre ……. beyond that is a waste of energy.
Making neutral maybe, but not if you are making a flavoured spirit.
85% of what I make is malt whiskey or molasses rum……….. that schematic is a fool’s errand.

Have checked my notes….. last whiskey strips were 1100 ml stopping when the ABV had dropped to 15%…….. plenty of flavour and no point in chasing the last ounce.

Be desperation to squeeze a further 400 ml.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I pretty much always strip down to zero abv off the spout. Not necessarily to get the last bit of etoh out of beer/wash but more so to get the low-wines into the abv range where the spirit run hearts cuts will be at my desired barrel proof - without diluting with water. You might try loading your flavored strip run on the front end with flavored distillate originating from the mash ferment. When I do that my hearts cut invariably ends up at about 125 proof which is in the neighborhood that I want. Run the strip even a bit longer to drop the low wines proof and my heart cut is in the 110pf range for slightly different extraction on oak.

In my mind the difference might be somewhat analogous to making a good stew using water or prepared stock. I’m typically shooting for more complexity and depth and stripping longer helps me prevent diluting a flavored spirit with water.

Just my thoughts!

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:48 am I pretty much always strip down to zero abv off the spout. ….. I’m typically shooting for more complexity and depth and stripping longer helps me prevent diluting a flavored spirit with water.
Same here, for much the same reasons. I was impressed by the mouth-feel and added complexity that the sweetwater gave a recent batch. It really is worth a try.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:48 am
where the spirit run hearts cuts will be at my desired barrel proof - without diluting with water.
Continuing with my notes from last whiskey…………. two strips of 1100ml = 2200ml + spirit run tails from previous whiskey 300ml = 2500ml + water 500ml = 3 litres at 33% ABV.

Air Still runs preferable with 3 litres. And copper in the head.

The end result from spirit run had ABV of 66%……… slightly too high I had to add a little water to bring it down to 62% for barrel strength.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:48 am
shooting for more complexity and depth and stripping longer helps me prevent diluting a flavored spirit with water.

have you considered improving your recipes.......
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I’ve tried stripping to a higher abv + water and lower abv with no added water and generally prefer a longer strip to lower abv. I’ll recycle feints if I have em and too up spirit run with fresh wash if I have it or backset if not. A series of 3-4 strips + spirit run makes enough that I don’t generally have feints but I might sometimes have similar feints.

If it works for you that’s all that matters lol.

I’d recommend anyone to consider and try both ways - multiple approaches and see what works for you.

Posting at the same time as Oz -
shooting for more complexity and depth and stripping longer helps me prevent diluting a flavored spirit with water.
have you considered improving your recipes.......
I rarely follow a recipe to the letter - a recipe is more of a set of guidelines IMO. I pretty much always modify and adjust recipes and protocols within a range and sometimes more drastically - For me it’s more of an ongoing dynamic to never really make the exact same thing twice and to keep learning by incorporating things I pick up through the journey and borrow or steal tricks and stand on the shoulders of others around here that know their shit much better than me.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

kimbodious wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:39 am This schematic came from the now defunct still-smart.uk forum.
Pretty sure that has been resurrected and come back as https://stillsmarter.co.uk/ Kimbo.
Its a great resource for beginners who own small stills, like airstills, As you would know from the old forum some of the members there know these stills inside out.
Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:55 am I find that schematic somewhat ridiculous
That Diagram has helped Members and Mods here and on many other distilling forums explain to newbs with Air Stills the concept of, and the reasons for stripping hundreds of times since it first started doing the rounds of the forums.
Of the many many posts Ive read using it as an example, you are the first to call it "ridiculous"......nobody else has had any problem with it or learning from it.
If you wish to get along on this forum I suggest your attitude change, to date you contributions to the forum are to say that our Tried and True recipes are "Over Rated" , that a respected and long term member of the forum should "consider changing his recipe" and to call another well thought out teaching tool used widely on distilling forums "ridiculous". :thumbdown:
Maybe you could draw up a similar diagram explaining why and how your method is better.......I'm sure there will be plenty of Air Still owners out there keen to see it and learn from it , if indeed it is better.
Warning : My tolerance levels for argumentative and negative people is at an all time low.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:10 pm
Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:55 am I find that schematic somewhat ridiculous
That Diagram has helped Members and Mods here and on many other distilling forums explain to newbs with Air Stills the concept of, and the reasons for stripping hundreds of times since it first started doing the rounds of the forums.
Of the many many posts Ive read using it as an example, you are the first to call it "ridiculous"......nobody else has had any problem with it or learning from it.
If you wish to get along on this forum I suggest your attitude change, to date you contributions to the forum are to say that our Tried and True recipes are "Over Rated" , that a respected and long term member of the forum should "consider changing his recipe" and to call another well thought out teaching tool used widely on distilling forums "ridiculous". :thumbdown:
Maybe you could draw up a similar diagram explaining why and how your method is better.......I'm sure there will be plenty of Air Still owners out there keen to see it and learn from it , if indeed it is better.
Warning : My tolerance levels for argumentative and negative people is at an all time low.

It is true I have written… “the lore of 10% ABV is overstated” and “some of the Tried and True are overstated”……….. but I have never written "Over Rated".

What I write are my conclusions drawn from my honest experiences using an Air Still (I only use an Air Still)…… and hopefully this forum can be robust enough to handle a range of opinion.

I am not being argumentative when I state my genuine views and my posts are intended to be helpful not “negative”.

The reason I critique the diagram are explain above…….. my Air Still method requires no diagram and can also be found within my posts.

For the record I wrote…... “considered improving your recipes” …… not "consider changing his recipe"

I have shown the forum at https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=83326
my copper discs for Air Still……….. which is a worthwhile improvement………. and get called out for being ‘negative’!
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

I also notice in the above schematic (that diagram) is advising that the Air Still be unsupervised for entire run…………….. and given this forum’s position on safety it is astonishing that diagram has been recommended for instructing.

timer.JPG
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Use a timer and it’s simply a matter of filling the still, switching it on and coming back later to explain everything to your wife, the authorities, and your insurance agent…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:43 pm I also notice in the above schematic (that diagram) is advising that the Air Still be unsupervised for entire run…………….. and given this forum’s position on safety it is astonishing that diagram has been recommended for instructing.

timer.JPG
Just because someone posted it here, doesn't mean it's approved by everyone here. It's not a protocol that I would use to run my Airstill.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:43 pm I also notice in the above schematic (that diagram) is advising that the Air Still be unsupervised for entire run…………….. and given this forum’s position on safety it is astonishing that diagram has been recommended for instructing.

timer.JPG
Not once ever recommended here. Where have you seen that? Link?

This forum as an entity is not affiliated with any manufacturer. And as an organizational entity, would never publish that type of instruction.

The forum's position would likely be quite the opposite. Much more of an admonishment rather than permission to walk away from an operating still.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have to repeat what LWTCS stated for safety reasons never leave your still unattended.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

LWTCS wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:59 am

Need to read all the earlier posts of this thread........... the schematic (that diagram) was posted here on 4 June and received further endorsement on 6 June
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

timer.JPG
Well spotted Trapped in Oz. :thumbup:
Glad to see that you have noticed the bad advice in that diagram .
I have to admit that I have on several occasions posted that diagram and have not noticed that blearingly obvious wrong info . :oops:

You are correct . A still should never be left unattended . :thumbup:

I guess , in my case , I was more interested in passing on the process of multiple stripping runs , the combining for spirit runs and the concept of cuts . .... something this diagram does in a graphical way quite nicely .

Should read the words too :?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:18 am
LWTCS wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:59 am

Need to read all the earlier posts of this thread........... the schematic (that diagram) was posted here on 4 June and received further endorsement on 6 June
***I don’t see anyone advocating leaving a still unattended. It’s simply unsafe - and issues do arise during runs that need prompt attention.

The diagram helps illustrate the workflow - time, effort, and materials involved with a certain outcome.

Of course the workflow can be modified with varying elements for different outcomes.

Small batch stills are a great complement to larger batch stills.

Encourage framing every setup and distilling scenario with safter as a primary concern.

*** Posted same time as Yummy!

Cheers!
-j
————
————
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Well, there you go! I’ve shared that schematic a couple of times but never noticed the fine print. Guilty as charged. I don’t own or operate an Airstill but a close relative does.

Even something as small and basic as an Airstill should not be taken for granted and left to operate unattended. Although the unit and the capacity is small, you are still dealing with electricity and hot and potentially flammable vapour and liquids.

On the other hand watching an Airstill while it dribbles out 1100 or 1500mls or whatever over a number of hours sounds fairly torturous. I can see why people would be tempted to set and forget it.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:39 pm
IMALOSERSCUMBAG wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:08 am A few years back ................. but you will soon hit a brick wall and realize it's limitations.

For small pot distilling it is not limiting.…………. did your Air Still have knobs in the head for holding basket?

The only brick wall would be the need to fill more bottles.

I agree, as a small pot it worked great. No knobs. I would macerate my neutral with different fruits. More of experimenting with flavors.

That was my thought in regards to brick wall. Production couldn't keep up with demand.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

IMALOSERSCUMBAG wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:47 pm

I agree, as a small pot it worked great. No knobs.

~ need knobs in your head for peak use ~

Great knobs……... for basket, botanicals and copper

~ ~ ~

Most Air Still I have seen are sold in kit with small fermenter.

I think the premise of that schematic (that diagram) of making large wash for a small Still is erroneous and unnecessary………. the uncomplicated alternative is that two 4 litre strips make one 3 litre spirit run.
Also smaller washes leads to faster development of ideas and recipes......… and more variety.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I would ignore that chart and do what I do with any of my pot stills, three or four strips and a spirit run.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

I had the 6 gallon fermenting bucket. I would end up with 4 +/- strips and then a spirit run. It became a lot of work for some average liquor. I'm much happier with my column.