What I learned about on-grain and volume

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

What I learned about on-grain and volume

Post by NormandieStill »

While waiting for my new 32L buckets to arrive, I've been fermenting in my 20L ones that I got for wine + beer making. I'm playing around with a wheat + oats + enzyme mash as a way of making vodka. My first attempt used about 4.7kg of grain for 15L of water and that fitted into a 20L bucket with a tiny puke into the airlock on the first day.

But as my wheat comes in 25kg sacks I figured I should scale up to 5kg of wheat and my 500g of oats. Mashed in, cooled it, poured into the bucket and pitched yeast. 2 days later I glance at the bucket and notice that there's a little trickle of juice coming out of the grommet where the airlock is fitted. Then I realise that the airlock is full of coloured liquid. Then I notice that the lid is domed somewhat and resists being pushed down. And while trying to push it down I realise that the bottom is domed as well.

It's now sat in one of my original 30L buckets that I try to avoid using as they have a cutout for tap which only ever seems to seal after leaking a small amount of wort onto the wooden floor!

Lesson learnt. 2.5cm of head space is not enough for an on-grain ferment.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What I learned about on-grain and volume

Post by greggn »

NormandieStill wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:47 pm Then I realise that the airlock is full of coloured liquid.

For those who do closed ferments, I highly recommend changing from bubbler-style airlocks to blow-off tubes. I run a 3/4" hose into a jug with a water-clorox mixture. Aggressive ferments may push into the hose but it's never been blocked.

... and the ferment aroma is scrubbed clean by the chlorine giving my room the slight smell of an indoor pool.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: What I learned about on-grain and volume

Post by still_stirrin »

Wise advice gregg.

I learned that trick when I brewed at the local brewery. A 7 bbl ferment of beer pushes a lot of CO2, so a hose into a bucket of dilute Chlorox helped keep things sanitary smelling.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K