Confused

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Denis Zen
Novice

Confused

Post by Denis Zen »

I have a stainless two pot still that I am using to ferment 5 gallons of water and 8 lb sugar wash. Im using brewers yeast and yeast nutrient. I accidentally left my wash in my shed and it got 109 degrees and my wash went from happily bubbling along to a sad pace.

1-2 bubbles a second to 1 bubble every 3 seconds. Its still doing its thing but not as energetically. Is there anything I should or can do to save my wash or should I just let it run its course and hope for the best?

Its my first run and I feel like I have already failed.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Confused

Post by dunluce »

Welcome, and hang in there. Some of us jump in feet first and get right to it, and others research for months before attempting our first go.

You haven't given a length of time, but as long as it is bubbling, it should be fine.

We have a Novice Distillers forum here, and it is a good place to post your questions:
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

Again, welcome. :)
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

As the yeast deplete the sugar your CO2 production will drop. May not be a temperature issue.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Denis Zen.
Sorry to have confused you.
We try to keep this area for you to introduce your self, tell us about what you make? , what still you have? ....or even if you have a still at all?, will you buy ? or build one?
All of those things help us help you, and give us an idea of how advanced in the hobby you are.
Keeping questions in the appropriate areas makes those questions easier for other newbs to find and read,the answers to your questions can quite often help others to.
Not everybody looks at every welcome thread.
As has been pointed out by another member, the Novice Distiller area is there for new distillers questions.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Welcome!

Alot of missing information, but it sounds like it's still working. I trust you are monitoring progression in SG with a hydrometer....

If it really does stall out, and I don't think you are there, check out the following: I found it very useful when I was struggling with a Wineo's Sugar Wash.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=60502

Good luck!
-- Rrmuf
nejir
Novice

Post by nejir »

Tummydoc wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:35 pm As the yeast deplete the sugar your CO2 production will drop. May not be a temperature issue.
What I have personally experimented and felt even if a bit, the temperature plays a bit of a role.
Denis Zen
Novice

Post by Denis Zen »

Thank you all so much for your input and comments! You guys rock! Luckily it came back and I am doing a stripping run on it as I write this. I bought a two pot stainless set up off amazon. And have been accumulating parts as I go. My hydrometer set came in a set of 3 and the #2 was broke. I used one of them to check the fermentation to make sure there were no changes 4 times in 2 days and it didnt change. Early am and late pm for two days.

I am doing this primarily for fun and secondary as an experiment to see if I can make a a good drink AND a burnable fuel for my 80 cc bike motor . I realise there are tons of variables and many things I need to discover and learn but thats why I am doing it. To learn.

My dad (r.i.p.) comes from a long line of Tennessee ridge runners (moonshiners) and I found an old mash recipe in his desk and that got me interested in this. Sooo here I am.

I will try and observe all the rules and read as much as I can. My eyeballs are hurting rn. LoL.

Respectfully Denis Zen.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Denis Zen wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:15 pm
My dad (r.i.p.) comes from a long line of Tennessee ridge runners (moonshiners) and I found an old mash recipe in his desk and that got me interested in this.

If you could transcribe his notes, or post a high-res image, that would be cool.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Denis Zen
Novice

Post by Denis Zen »

I was brewing right along, cut 6 oz head on 5 gallon 8 lb sugar wash and went to change my jars and water from my open condenser pot spilled on the top of my boiler and it suddenly stopped and I checked my coil temp and it got warm so I shut it down.

Did it stop because my lid had a cold spot and my condensation coalesced there and started dripping back into the pan instead of going up the coil pipe? Arghhhh!

What I did get taste just like I remembered it tasting like. Yummy! I am enjoying some while I speak.

And I will consider sharing his recipe. Its been in our family since before the 1800 land rush. I was told that this helped get my family through the depression and other hard times. You would recognize my family name as one is a tool manufacturer and another a nas car driver. But yeah I will probly share.