"New Make" whiskey flavor/smell?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

"New Make" whiskey flavor/smell?

Post by Metalking00 »

I recently finished a run of Odins cornflakes whiskey and during the run I really liked the corn smell and taste I was getting. after blending, I noticed a smell that isn't unpleasant, but its not what I was expecting. Its very possible that I added a bit too much tails (the tails I added smelled good on their own at the time). The smell I'm getting is almost peanut buttery, almost cheesy (yeasty?). I don't remember where I heard or read that "new make" whiskey can have a peanut buttery smell, but as this is my first whiskey I just don't know. Does young whiskey have a characteristic smell, or was I just not careful enough with my cuts? The yeasty aspect makes me think I may have overpitched? I was running this through a detuned boka and did a very slow single run. Now typing this I realize there's lots of things that could have been improved in my process, but Id still like to know about this flavor question; this is my first attempt at something that's not a straight sugar wash and it was interesting to see how much flavor comes over and how much more the flavors change throughout the run, but I find myself without anyway to compare the results to what I've experienced before.

Thanks,
Chris
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: "New Make" whiskey flavor/smell?

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I would suggest that as a newb you avoid adding any tails at all.
To this day I steer clear of them.
Once you have learned to make something that tastes good and have more experience is the time to experiment with adding other fractions of the run.
When starting out be happy to keep just hearts.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Metalking00 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:10 am first attempt at something that's not a straight sugar wash and it was interesting to see how much flavor comes over and how much more the flavors change throughout the run

a good and early observation…… a whiskey without some head and tail is not whiskey………. needs to mellow before evaluating
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Metalking00 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:10 am... I was running this through a detuned boka and did a very slow single run...
Well, I always use my potstill to run any type of “whiskey”, beit all grain or a sugar wash with cereal flakes. And I always use XX distillation (strip + spirit run) protocol. So, I’d suspect your “one and done” method has left you with “long tails” in your keeper jars.

Try rerunning your collection again and see if you can clean it up.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:48 am
Metalking00 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:10 am... I was running this through a detuned boka and did a very slow single run...
I’d suspect your “one and done” method has left you with “long tails” in your keeper jars.

Try rerunning your collection again and see if you can clean it up.
ss
+1. Single runs are IMO never very good.
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think you're all right. I was pleased with the hearts of the run and I think it would've been best to stay closer to tight cuts like SB says, but the smells of some of the tails were so nice. I have 2 more fermenters of cornflakes that should be ready sometime this weekend and this time I'll do a double distill on them. That was my original plan the first time, but I was impatient and I thought the smells and tastes from one run were worth trying out. Ill let what I have continue to age with some oak and see if it gets better, though I may change my mind by the time the next batch is done and throw it in there too....