My first propane run

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

My first propane run

Post by Hybrid pot still »

Finally getting to do my first propane run, i been running electric stove but i been gathering this and that up and reading and learning.. so here it is, my new temporary rig.. looks scary, i know but it works and sturdy for the the most part, it will look better as i finish my all metal
stand, will post more pics
20210613_134101.jpg
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first propane run

Post by Boozewaves »

nice tomato plant there :D

won't propane heat up the rods that hold the pot in place and melt the plastic crate? . i know it may be o.k for 10 minutes of trial but you may be running a few hours depending on size of the pot . your stand looks pretty unsafe and wobbly to be honest .
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You probably should lay off the "tomato plant" and think through that setup like Boozewaves suggests.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

That does look precarious. Maybe some flat bar or barbecue grates suspended across a base of your stone or bricks?

Sorry, I had to rotate your pic since my neck was getting stiff and my newmake kept missing my mouth and dribbling off my chin onto the computer table. :ebiggrin:
Hybrid Pot Still.jpeg
PS: Think there's any chance of hooch off your 'hybrid pot still' having a grassy taste?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Boozewaves wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:54 am nice tomato plant there :D

won't propane heat up the rods that hold the pot in place and melt the plastic crate? . i know it may be o.k for 10 minutes of trial but you may be running a few hours depending on size of the pot . your stand looks pretty unsafe and wobbly to be honest .
Ya, i have the bars on wood now, i still haven't fired up yet, ive changed some things in bvb the last coupe hours
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

20210613_165151.jpg
20210613_165136.jpg
20210613_165148.jpg
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Im still nervous about running dont grt me wrong lol, ive seen worse tho
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

I didn't relize my plant was in the pic lol, sry about that. If it makes it any better, its legal where im at now if you have a license, which i have. I like doing everything my own, plants, most of my food, likker, smoke and working on tobacco, its tricky to grow..
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

20210613_171347.jpg
fired up!! First propane run, cider mash, 5 gallons
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Yea, I sure wouldn’t use a propane burner in the living room like that. Way too many flammable materials there, including all the trash.

Also, that looooooong lyne arm will have some condensation forming in it (lower volatiles/water mostly). Then, the liquid will impede the vapor stream to the worm. I see how this could create some “huffing” in the still. Have you noticed this problem?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:23 pm Yea, I sure wouldn’t use a propane burner in the living room like that. Way too many flammable materials there, including all the trash.

Also, that looooooong lyne arm will have some condensation forming in it (lower volatiles/water mostly). Then, the liquid will impede the vapor stream to the worm. I see how this could create some “huffing” in the still. Have you noticed this problem?
ss
This is my first run with it like this, its not huffing at all like it was on the stove and i dont even have my mesh in, yet.. i used so much copper to be safe from vapors and flame.. i dont like fire lol, ya im single and my place is trashed this week, been a long hot work week and hot in this, especially now lol but worth it, i love it
20210613_175726.jpg
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Hybrid pot still wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:00 pm
still_stirrin wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:23 pm Yea, I sure wouldn’t use a propane burner in the living room like that. Way too many flammable materials there, including all the trash.

ss
This is my first run with it like this, its not huffing at all like it was on the stove and i dont even have my mesh in, yet.. i used so much copper to be safe from vapors and flame.. i dont like fire lol, ya im single and my place is trashed this week, been a long hot work week and hot in this, especially now lol but worth it, i love it20210613_175726.jpg
ive been using only electric till today
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

20210613_195510.jpg
1I think im finally coming to a end, as much as i want ot to keep going on, i really enjoy this. I know my first propane setup it sketchy as hell, i felt it to.. but i have been on top of it the whole time and wanted to do it with gas soo bad and i done it. No fires, mishaps, hair burning or skin burning or likker burn, which i was afraid of how fast it climbed temp. Im still learning and experimenting, ever bit of most of this i made or make shift myself, like the oldtimers, exception that some of my materials are modern but i did it finally and got ten more gallons to go but im going to share this product with my friends and tell them i got it from some guy, like i have been lol..im Hybrid pot still aka real name, Edward. This is why im Hybrid, my shit will probably freak you and me both out but it works and i will find a way to make it work lol. By the way, i got a gallon and a quarter of drinkable whiskey, i been experimenting with water here recently and i like the outcome. Here are some pics
20210613_195515.jpg
20210613_195528.jpg
20210613_195539.jpg
Last edited by Hybrid pot still on Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Bars never got hot by the way, this is truly a fucked up hybrid lol, it will look better and safer soon
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

And im definitely open to ideas or what is wrong or could be better, beside the obvious lol, my lynn arm is going up hill by the way, in hope that anything that goes back to liquid like water or whatever will go back to the pot before it gets to the worm, i think
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Dude, if ya got to be inside, stick with the stove top, it's just safer than doing propane inside. Look into making a liebig condenser. You don't need all the horizontal line. Not knocking your set up but, safety is #1.
Here's a pic of my stove top set up with a liebig condenser, it's not perfect but it's safe
Attachments
20210606_140425_resized_1.jpg
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Corn Cracker wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:32 pm Dude, if ya got to be inside, stick with the stove top, it's just safer than doing propane inside. Look into making a liebig condenser. You don't need all the horizontal line. Not knocking your set up but, safety is #1.
Here's a pic of my stove top set up with a liebig condenser, it's not perfect but it's safe
I like it, and i like safety
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Im still practicing my brazing skill and i want to make one soon
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I recommend cleaning up the workspace when you run. No telling what’s going to go wrong and dealing with the failure is going to be more precarious.

Mad props for keeping a fire extinguisher handy. Hope you never need it.

Cheers and best luck!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

Hybrid pot still wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:09 pm And im definitely open to ideas or what is wrong or could be better, beside the obvious lol, my lynn arm is going up hill by the way, in hope that anything that goes back to liquid like water or whatever will go back to the pot before it gets to the worm, i think
so a bit of passive reflux so to speak , my potstill has quite a tall riser so I probably get a bit of that
Hybrid pot still wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:57 pm Bars never got hot by the way, this is truly a fucked up hybrid lol, it will look better and safer soon
thats good , but yeah safer the better , I had a small fire once when a jar of 95abv fell on the floor near my butane burner, nothing major but still scary . glad you are happy with your result
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:17 pm I recommend cleaning up the workspace when you run. No telling what’s going to go wrong and dealing with the failure is going to be more precarious.

Cheers and best luck!
-jonny
Thank you, it clean now, i messed everything up trying to get everything together. I do like fire extinguishers and likker lol
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Boozewaves wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:04 am
Hybrid pot still wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:09 pm And im definitely open to ideas or what is wrong or could be better, beside the obvious lol, my lynn arm is going up hill by the way, in hope that anything that goes back to liquid like water or whatever will go back to the pot before it gets to the worm, i think
so a bit of passive reflux so to speak , my potstill has quite a tall riser so I probably get a bit of that
Hybrid pot still wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:57 pm Bars never got hot by the way, this is truly a fucked up hybrid lol, it will look better and safer soon
thats good , but yeah safer the better , I had a small fire once when a jar of 95abv fell on the floor near my butane burner, nothing major but still scary . glad you are happy with your result
Im still trying to understand fully what reflux is, i get it in a plated/packed column, but is that the same with a pot still? And is that to do with vapors going up and return down to the pot to a liquid to be recirculated sorta? Ive found reading material for like columns but not pot stills, i may be typing in the wrong thing to what im trying to find. The result is on this run the best likker ive ever done, i need to get a alchoholmeter to start testing it accurately
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Hybrid pot still wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:11 am
jonnys_spirit wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:17 pm I recommend cleaning up the workspace when you run. No telling what’s going to go wrong and dealing with the failure is going to be more precarious.

Cheers and best luck!
-jonny
Thank you, it clean now, i messed everything up trying to get everything together. I do like fire extinguishers, safety and likker lol, it may not show in this but i do. Im just like the tasmania devil lol, a bull in a china shop, thats me..
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

Hybrid pot still wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:18 am Im still trying to understand fully what reflux is, i get it in a plated/packed column, but is that the same with a pot still? And is that to do with vapors going up and return down to the pot to a liquid to be recirculated sorta? Ive found reading material for like columns but not pot stills, i may be typing in the wrong thing to what im trying to find. The result is on this run the best likker ive ever done, i need to get a alchoholmeter to start testing it accurately
yes sending vapours back down to be distilled again is the basic idea of reflux . a good resource is here https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Reflux ,
your long lyne arm sloping upwards will be cooled by the air and lose heat as it goes further away from the burner and pot which will make a small amount of the alcohol vapour turn back into liquid and run back into the pot , this is the passive reflux .some traditional swan neck stills for whisky use this sort of method .

its definitely worth getting an alchometer (or 2 as they break easily) , they are very useful , I just buy the cheapest ones from ebay . I have used them to check shop bought spitits abv as a test and they seem accurate enough .
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Boozewaves wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:04 am
Hybrid pot still wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:18 am Im still trying to understand fully what reflux is, i get it in a plated/packed column, but is that the same with a pot still? And is that to do with vapors going up and return down to the pot to a liquid to be recirculated sorta? Ive found reading material for like columns but not pot stills, i may be typing in the wrong thing to what im trying to find. The result is on this run the best likker ive ever done, i need to get a alchoholmeter to start testing it accurately
yes sending vapours back down to be distilled again is the basic idea of reflux . a good resource is here https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Reflux ,
your long lyne arm sloping upwards will be cooled by the air and lose heat as it goes further away from the burner and pot which will make a small amount of the alcohol vapour turn back into liquid and run back into the pot , this is the passive reflux .some traditional swan neck stills for whisky use this sort of method .

its definitely worth getting an alchometer (or 2 as they break easily) , they are very useful , I just buy the cheapest ones from ebay . I have used them to check shop bought spitits abv as a test and they seem accurate enough .
thank you for the information booze. I really appreciate it