Rhum.... now what...

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bearddrunk
Novice

Rhum.... now what...

Post by Bearddrunk »

Here is the situation,

Last week, made a wash using (3l molasse, 3kg brown sugar, pinch of Epsom salt and yeas and top it to 25lf.... it when from 1.082 to 1.000 in 8 days.
I ran it and got about a gallon ranging from 170 to 40.

This week, I am doing the same wash and got an OG of 1.080 going on very well.

My question is, as my still can easily accommodate that extra gallon from the previous batch, should I just pour the whole thing down with this last ferment and run it as a spirit run?

My thinking is that this way I'll be getting at least a few 4 or 5 quarts jar that I can experiment with... (aging with wood, spicing, or just strait tasting!)

I'm also thinking that I should get a bigger fermenter.....
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Rhum.... now what...

Post by NZChris »

Yes, you can. It's called a 1.5 run.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

:ewink: ⁸Honestly, you should run every way you can think of to help develop your forthcoming point of view.

Don't worry about "messing up". There is plenty of time.
No rushing around to produce a home run on the first swing.
It's going to take time and the more practice you get, the better your finished product will eventually become.

Also, (in my opinion) rum is theoretically the easiest spirit to produce as there is a minimal amount of processing needed compared to cooking grains or pressing fruit.
However, distilling whiskey for example is far more forgiving compared to rum.

Rum is tricky. You're just not gonna hit it out of the park on your first try.

With respect to a bigger fermentation vessel, I'd also consider putting 3 into service so that you always have something working off, something clearing, and something ready to run.
Good luck.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Run it all.
Rerun it slow.
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Unless you have a nasty batch of molasses, or a shortage of copper in the still, you should be able to make good rum from your first spirit run. I made many before I struck out and even that started to come right after a couple of years on wood.

I recommend to aim to make something for drinking young before doing cuts suitable for aging. Aging takes years, so waiting a couple of extra weeks to put some on oak isn't going to make much difference to when it will be good enough to drink.