Grinders and Mesh Bags? Which ones?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dreamer
Novice

Grinders and Mesh Bags? Which ones?

Post by Dreamer »

Which grinders do you use? Pictures please.

Mesh bags - Which manufacturers do you use? What size mesh is good?

I intend to use it with cracked corn and rolled oats that have been milled down a bit.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Re: Grinders and Mesh Bags? Which ones?

Post by Hambone »

I’ve used cheap paint straining bags…that’s what I’d recommend.

I use a corona grinder for corn (not near it for pics but easy to find online). I just got a grinding stone add on for that but haven’t used it yet. Should grind to meal in a single (significantly slower) step. I’ll reserve judgment on that.

I’ve got a little roller grinder for malts. Don’t recall the price but works well. Sorry for no pics…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Most websites that sell brewing supplies can sell you grain bags, I got one that can fit over the rim of a 5-gallon bucket, so I can dump one bucket mash into it, then raise the bag out and let it drip, and squeeze it dry. They are fairly cheap, just takes more work than you'd think.

I use this grinder for cracking corn, it's pretty cheap on amazon, $40 where roller-mills cost a good deal more and aren't recommended for corn? anyways this one is a pain in the ass, but it works, we have welded a steel frame, mounted this grinder on a steel plate, in a tube, and fed it with a 20-30 gallon grain hopper, and then added an electric motor to turn it, elevated it all, put steel sq tubing legs on it, and a bucket under. Mostly from scrap off the farm, much more invested into it, than it's worth, but when the grinder fails, its another $40 and 10 minutes to pop a new one in there.

Then I've got a small stone-wheel grinder on the way from the 1970s that my memaw used to make breads with.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (103.04 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

8BBD0AEB-119E-4CF8-A841-9622356EFA51.jpeg
This was recommended on a previous post. I myself just purchased it and cannot say enough good things about it, I got it off eBay. I’m in Canada so it cost about 330$ With shipping and everything. I wouldn’t waste my my money or time buying anything smaller. I have bought a ton of stuff for this hobby only to be replacing it with bigger or more efficient items. Just go big to begin with and you won’t need to waste a ton of money.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Dreamer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:52 am Which grinders do you use? Pictures please.
These Google searches should help shorten your search.

homedistiller corn grinders

homedistiller grinders for corn
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

+1 to Justin.

I have the same mill. Don’t waste time and money searching for something cheaper. That powered mill is perfect. Pricey, but robust and it will easily mill whole corn to a powder, or a nice uniform cornmeal.

I plug mine into a switched powerstrip because the unit does not include a switch. Otherwise, it’s a 10 out of 10!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Justinthunder wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:16 am 8BBD0AEB-119E-4CF8-A841-9622356EFA51.jpeg

This was recommended on a previous post. I myself just purchased it and cannot say enough good things about it, I got it off eBay. I’m in Canada so it cost about 330$ With shipping and everything. I wouldn’t waste my my money or time buying anything smaller. I have bought a ton of stuff for this hobby only to be replacing it with bigger or more efficient items. Just go big to begin with and you won’t need to waste a ton of money.
That is a fine piece of equipment. No way in the world could I ever justify getting one at my hobby level. A corona grinder knockoff for less than $30 delivered from Amazon and modified for a 1/2” corded drill to run it is more than enough for me. I can go through 17 pounds of whole malted grain & pre-cracked corn in about 10 minutes. Takes longer to load the hopper than to turn it into coarse grind ready for mashing.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

8Ball wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:32 am That is a fine piece of equipment. No way in the world could I ever justify getting one at my hobby level. A corona grinder knockoff for less than $30 delivered from Amazon and modified for a 1/2” corded drill to run it is more than enough for me. I can go through 17 pounds of whole malted grain & pre-cracked corn in about 10 minutes. Takes longer to load the hopper than to turn it into coarse grind ready for mashing.
I'm in the same boat. I was hesitating over the Vevor 3 roller mill which seems to sit at a Too Good To Be True price point, but the reviews are mixed at a level that makes it seems like the consistency just isn't there. I'm going to make a stand for my corona knock-off to reduce the amount of flour that ends up covering every nearby surface and then probably buy a cheap corded drill to power it.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I had a specific need, had to have a 150 gallon BIAB to fit my stainless strainer.
The BIAB guys have that size because they make it for my big assed strainer.
Good people, great product.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

nerdybrewer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:06 am I had a specific need, had to have a 150 gallon BIAB to fit my stainless strainer.
The BIAB guys have that size because they make it for my big assed strainer.
Good people, great product.
Holy cow, Nerdy! You’d need a hoist to lift 150 gallons of wet grain!
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Yes, that is what works for me.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:26 am
I plug mine into a switched powerstrip because the unit does not include a switch. Otherwise, it’s a 10 out of 10!
ss
Mine came with a nice big red switch for on and off, maybe they have upgraded since you bought yours, and it plugs into a 110v plug which is awesome
8Ball wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:32 am I can go through 17 pounds of whole malted grain & pre-cracked corn in about 10 minutes. Takes longer to load the hopper than to turn it into coarse grind ready for mashing.
I can grind that in about 2 minutes and into a fine powder instead of a course grind. The finer the grind the better the conversions, I find anyways. This grinder is well worth it, the less time grinding the more time I have to make more alcohol
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

A vote for the Agristore grinder - turns everything into flour, meal, or a more coarse grist depending on which of three plates you install - I just use the flour one and it works very well... I had a corona that also worked well but 70-100# of grains took some hand holding and after the mods was sorta janky IMO... Hopefully i'll never need another but might could go for a roller mill for large batch barley to lauter some day..

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Justinthunder wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:41 pm I can grind that in about 2 minutes … the less time grinding the more time I have to make more alcohol …
Like I said, it is a fine piece of equipment. But, if you put a premium on saving 8 minutes of your time so you can “make more alcohol,” then I think you are misguided at best. I’d have to literally grind at least a ton of grain to justify the expense, and my pockets are deep enough but the NEED for more alcohol just isn’t there.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

I modded a Corona. It does well enough and I can have 70# of corn and grain ready well before the first keg of water is up to temp.
Running it by hand SUCKED though (before I upped my amounts for AG) so motorizing was a must and I was really discouraged by the potential investment to apply a rather janked up solution to a cheap mill. I didn’t see better options, either, though.
Then I lucked out and fell into a motor with a drive that was within my electrical supply capabilities. It’s still a bit hokey but I don’t have but $10 invested over the cost of the mill.
As for dust and the nature of the Corona to spew everywhere I just cut the end off of a plastic shopping bag and wrap the the handle cuts around the mill ears to make a little shrouded tube drop.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I also use mesh paint strainer bags for multiple things. When I siphon into my boiler, when I macerate, and when I press my pomace when making apple juice..
I have four grinders the one I use the most is my Monster Mill 2:
1C7013AC-7B20-451A-A487-BFEE9D903626.jpeg
I also have a very large coffee grinder that works great:
FA7C4EAB-ED0F-45C1-B23F-6A5602F33287.png
I also use two other grinders, this krebs for my botanicals when making gin:
FD5AA9F1-411E-4CA4-BD7A-B63962B617B0.jpeg
Last when making apple cider I use the following crusher:
B91DA057-7079-44F0-AF51-DF42639713D5.jpeg
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm A vote for the Agristore grinder
+1

What I see as an advantage to this mill is the ready availability, here in the US, of replacement parts. If/when it breaks, and I've been using mine steadily for 2+ years, there are domestically-available parts that won't require me navigating a nebulous web of offshore vendors.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

greggn wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:41 am
jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm A vote for the Agristore grinder
+1

What I see as an advantage to this mill is the ready availability, here in the US, of replacement parts. If/when it breaks, and I've been using mine steadily for 2+ years, there are domestically-available parts that won't require me navigating a nebulous web of offshore vendors.
I can vouch for their support as well. I certainly don't use it every day and It had been a few months when the motor failed and they troubleshot via email and advanced shipped a replacement without any bills fast no issue.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

You could also check the antiques section on ebay and craigslist
grinder - Copy.jpg
I picked this up for about $80

Of course you need to power it although it did also come with a crank if you like the armstrong method.

I still need to get a longer belt to finish hooking it up but I already have the power source I used for my cane press and a meat grinder

grinding rig - Copy.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

That flat belt set up is awesome!!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

The washing machine motor is a friend of mine
IMG_20210625_202349-min.jpg
IMG_20210625_202541-min.jpg
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

This is one of my many unfinished projects. I got as far as disassembling it and hopefully one day I will derustify it, paint it, and put it back together. I bought it at a thrift store some time ago for about $50. Can't remember the brand name.
20171124_165800.jpg
Sorry about the sideways view.

I also have a Victoria (Corona type) mill and a roller mill. I use an electric drill to drive the roller mill and will probably do the same for the Victoria mill.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

That's a great little unit, Demy. I'll bet it chews through a batch of grain in no time.
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Dreamer
Novice

Post by Dreamer »

Thank you guys! The pics are great.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

S-Cackalacky wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:15 am This is one of my many unfinished projects. I got as far as disassembling it and hopefully one day I will derustify it, paint it, and put it back together. I bought it at a thrift store some time ago for about $50. Can't remember the brand name.
20171124_165800.jpg
Sorry about the sideways view.

I also have a Victoria (Corona type) mill and a roller mill. I use an electric drill to drive the roller mill and will probably do the same for the Victoria mill.
I have my eye on one of those at a friend's place they just purchased. The previous owners left it behind in an old shed. I'm going to try to weave a deal on it this weekend and see if I can have it in working order before the fall rains co.e and it's time to start stillin'.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:22 am .
That's a great little unit, Demy. I'll bet it chews through a batch of grain in no time.
For my little quantities it is very good, if the quantity was very high it would be necessary to a more powerful engine, the induction washing machine engine is robust but has little power. I had to arrange me with pieces I found. In any case it's nice to see the photos of all of you guys!