Various malted grains

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dreamer
Novice

Various malted grains

Post by Dreamer »

I have read of malted barley and malted corn, but what about the other grains?

Has anyone used malted wheat, malted sorghum, or malted oats, or another malted grain to provide the enzymes and a different flavor?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Various malted grains

Post by Deplorable »

You need only use the search tool to find nore information that you can digest. Yes people use other malted grains. Rye, wheat, etc. Your Search Foo is weak young pattowan.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I malted barley, corn, oats, wheat and once (yes, I'm a mad experimenter) even beans. I have been successful with everything but corn is the one that has given me the most (usually hardest) problems.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Dreamer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:53 pm I have read of malted barley and malted corn, but what about the other grains?

Has anyone used malted wheat, malted sorghum, or malted oats, or another malted grain to provide the enzymes and a different flavor?
Yes.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Dreamer
Novice

Post by Dreamer »

Demy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:20 am I malted barley, corn, oats, wheat and once (yes, I'm a mad experimenter) even beans. I have been successful with everything but corn is the one that has given me the most (usually hardest) problems.
Can you tell me which malted grains carry the most amylase ? Example: 1 lb malted X will convert itself and 10 lb unmalted Y.

And, do all malted grains contain enough amylase to convert themselves? Are there any good grains that should not be malted?

Tell me about the beans. Spill 'em.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

NormandieStill wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:11 am
Dreamer wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:49 am Yes. All the answers can be found SOMEWHERE among the hundreds of thousands of posts, hundreds of thousands of posts, hundreds of thousands of posts. But frankly I don't even want to try to sift through them only to find that those questions also were just old examples of the asshats abusing the questioners through the years. I want my abuse to be fresh and new.

I will ALWAYS ask my own questions. .
After decades of internet forums I find HD to be pretty damn good on the asshat front.

Especially as (to paraphrase what you just wrote) you have no intention of doing any work yourself and just want everything to be handed to you. When I have a question the Google search generally gets me answers on the first page of results. Enough to then search better and failing that to ask better questions. So here's some fresh, new and polite "abuse"; Do your own damn legwork. There's a veritable encyclopedia here and your asking the authors to sit down and read it to you!
Very politely said :D
And to stay on topic as everyone else has said probably use the search function and start with any or a combination of
+diastatic +malt +barley +amylase or potentially another 100 combinations
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Demy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:20 am I malted barley, corn, oats, wheat and once (yes, I'm a mad experimenter) even beans. I have been successful with everything but corn is the one that has given me the most (usually hardest) problems.
I’m curious how your bean likker turned out…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Hambone wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:20 am I’m curious how your bean likker turned out…
The right term I think is "Broad Bean", I apologize for my English. I maltated this not for a distillate but to eat it, I had baked beans (usually very hard) so I thought why not experience the effect of maltation? The result was as I expected, friable and sweeter.
external-content.duckduckgo.com2.jpg
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Dreamer wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:09 am
Can you tell me which malted grains carry the most amylase ? Example: 1 lb malted X will convert itself and 10 lb unmalted Y.

And, do all malted grains contain enough amylase to convert themselves? Are there any good grains that should not be malted?

Tell me about the beans. Spill 'em.
For my practical experience, the barley I think is in first place for diastatic power, very similar wheat. The corn (my opinion) has just enough enzymes to convert himself and sometimes (if you had a bad germination or wrong procedure) it is not enough for himself. Let's say a mixture (1-star barley malt - 2 raw cereal parts) should be fine, even if I would be better with 50/50. This is my other experience could have different experiences ... you must also understand that in addition to economic savings there is to consider what you want to get from your ferment ... often some cereals are used for the aromatic profile, and often the version "All malt" from the best results in terms of quality.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Liquid gluco-amylase enzymes is the “great equalizer”. it will make up for the shortfall of enzymes in just about any cereal grain. In fact, sometimes you won’t even need malted grains at all, although malting does affect the flavors of your beer in a good way.

Getcha’ some of that!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:15 am Liquid gluco-amylase enzymes is the “great equalizer”. it will make up for the shortfall of enzymes in just about any cereal grain. In fact, sometimes you won’t even need malted grains at all, although malting does affect the flavors of your beer in a good way.

Getcha’ some of that!
ss
+1. I use a bit even if my DP is high enough. Belt and suspenders…

Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:15 am Liquid gluco-amylase enzymes is the “great equalizer”. it will make up for the shortfall of enzymes in just about any cereal grain. In fact, sometimes you won’t even need malted grains at all, although malting does affect the flavors of your beer in a good way.

Getcha’ some of that!
ss
+1. I use a bit even if my DP should be high enough. Belt and suspenders…