Just had my first scare

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Just had my first scare

Post by Justinthunder »

This is about my 10th run now, I did the same thing I’ve always done, the only thing different is this is a ujssm and not all grain, I doubled the batch so I could do a stripping and Spirit run, on my first batch the only thing I can think of is maybe I had my burner turned up too high? My still cap popped off an beer came out like a geyser all over me and everything around me, I immediately shut off my propane and broke down the still, any suggestions what I did wrong? Im a little gun shy now but I need to fire up and get this run and my second batch, even though I probably just lost all the good alcohol on the ground
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Re: Just had my first scare

Post by Justinthunder »

I also added way more weight to the top of my cap, I did have 2 bricks and now I have 5
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Glad you’re safe and were watching it! Sounds like maybe an aggressive linda blair moment?

Scoop it up if you can dump it back in and run it!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:37 am Glad you’re safe and were watching it! Sounds like maybe an aggressive linda blair moment?

Scoop it up if you can dump it back in and run it!
I would never run my still unattended for this very reason, I definitely need a shower now lol I don’t think the wife is gonna like me being soaked in beer haha
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Projectile vomiting…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Sounds like a little too much heat too soon. Is it just paste holding the pot top (lyne arm) to the boiler? Did you aerate the wash real good before heating it up? I’ve learned to heat up slowly to reduce the chances of foam getting into my column. But I’m running electric as well.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

Stonecutter wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:14 am Sounds like a little too much heat too soon. Is it just paste holding the pot top (lyne arm) to the boiler? Did you aerate the wash real good before heating it up? I’ve learned to heat up slowly to reduce the chances of foam getting into my column. But I’m running electric as well.
I did aerate it, I think you’re right about the too much heat too fast, I had read from some other users they crank it up for a stripping run then dial back when it comes out the Liebig but unfortunately for me it came out the cap first, it’s running fine now. I’m gonna heat up the next batch slower
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

:thumbup: glad you came out of it unscathed and marriage intact :wink:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Did you blow through your condenser? It sounds like you had a plugged discharge line causing the internal pressure to build. When that happens, the boiling point increases storing more heat until the top popped. A rapid decompression will once again lower the boiling point and you get flooded by a boiling guyser.

Know what you’re doing….because you’re working with a potential “bomb”.

Glad you didn’t get burned.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:39 am Did you blow through your condenser? It sounds like you had a plugged discharge line causing the internal pressure to build. When that happens, the boiling point increases storing more heat until the top popped. A rapid decompression will once again lower the boiling point and you get flooded by a boiling guyser.

ss
+1
A rapid heat up shouldn't have caused the top to pop off with two bricks holding it down. Stills are always vented to the atmosphere. Check for a plug in the lyne arm or condenser.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:39 am Did you blow through your condenser? It sounds like you had a plugged discharge line causing the internal pressure to build. When that happens, the boiling point increases storing more heat until the top popped. A rapid decompression will once again lower the boiling point and you get flooded by a boiling guyser.

ss
It worked perfectly fine after the top popped, I don’t think it was plugged but I mean I can’t be absolutely certain, I got down from 80% to 30% alcohol when I heard another hissing sound so I shut it off immediately again. This time my thump had sucked all all of my boiler and the boiler heated up and melted the solder around my valve 😞 I cannot catch a break today, time to put back my second ujssm and wait, it’s been 3 weeks since I made it and it’s gonna be another 2 before I can get to again hopefully it’s still good.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

How big is your condenser line?

Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

Hambone wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:56 am How big is your condenser line?
1/2”
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Justinthunder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:53 am
It worked perfectly fine after the top popped, I don’t think it was plugged but I mean I can’t be absolutely certain, I got down from 80% to 30% alcohol when I heard another hissing sound so I shut it off immediately again. This time my thump had sucked all all of my boiler and the boiler heated up and melted the solder around my valve 😞 I cannot catch a break today, time to put back my second ujssm and wait, it’s been 3 weeks since I made it and it’s gonna be another 2 before I can get to again hopefully it’s still good.
Bold and underlined by me.
????? I suppose you mean your thumper had sucked your boiler. But how can it have done that??????
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

I’m not sure how it did it, but it did and then the solder got so hot on my drain valve it turned to liquid and fell off my still. My pot is 12 gallon and my thump is 6 gallon
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

ss
I don’t think I had a plugged discharge, I had just done my vinegar and sac run last weekend, my sac run was some old beer, and wine. I had to do a vinegar and sac run because I got that new keg thump and the copper in that and the Liebig was new, but the still has always run amazing for me. But I didn’t blow through anything because I didn’t know that was a thing. Lesson learned. I will always blow through my pieces now. Definitely don’t need that happening again
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Justinthunder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:36 am I also added way more weight to the top of my cap, I did have 2 bricks and now I have 5
That's the worst thing you can do. All it does is make the pressure higher and the charge even hotter before it blows the lid off again. Look for a blockage or restriction and don't try to run it until you have cleared it.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

NZChris wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:49 am
Justinthunder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:36 am I also added way more weight to the top of my cap, I did have 2 bricks and now I have 5
That's the worst thing you can do. All it does is make the pressure higher and the charge even hotter before it blows the lid off again. Look for a blockage or restriction and don't try to run it until you have cleared it.
I fired it up again after the lid popped and it ran absolutely fine. Until my thump sucked my boiler dry and liquified the solder on my drain valve 😞 and I thought today would run smooth haha
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Justinthunder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:58 am
NZChris wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:49 am
I fired it up again after the lid popped and it ran absolutely fine. Until my thump sucked my boiler dry and liquified the solder on my drain valve 😞 and I thought today would run smooth haha
to melt solder on your boiler you had to have an empty boiler. i see you mention thumper syphoning from your boiler... in my mind it happens the other way around. maybe step back a bit and review your setup and process. stilling can be dangerous and you described things that should be red flags to yourself.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Pics of the rig and components?
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

1942F1F4-1011-423A-BB63-B082B5F98294.jpeg
The cap and Liebig are connected with a 1” union
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thumper can’t suck boiler dry . You simply ran it until it was dry .

Regarding the lid popping off , did perhaps a few lumps of corn foam up and plug the 1/2” ? That would be my guess .

Good thing you don’t use 3/16” .
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:16 pm Thumper can’t suck boiler dry . You simply ran it until it was dry .

Regarding the lid popping off , did perhaps a few lumps of corn foam up and plug the 1/2” ? That would be my guess .

Good thing you don’t use 3/16” .
That maybe, I had put a gallon of heads/tails in the thump with 2 gallons of wash, I put about 8 gallons of wash in the pot and when i drained my thumper there was 5 gallons of baskset left. So the thumper did steal some from the pot. I need to get my still fixed before I do another run and then I will see if it happens again. I’ll just have to knock on the still and make sure there is still liquid I guess.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

How close to the bottom of the thumper is your inlet down tube? Heavy slop from your mash would definitely cause a pressure increase (back pressure) in the boiler, especially as the liquid level in the thumper increases.

You’re starting to worry me that you don’t fully understand the physics of distillation. And getting defensive regarding posters’ responses won’t guarantee your safety. You have to be safe and your still is definitely giving you warnings signs.

I suggest you refrain from running until you’ve read a lot more threads about using a thumper inline with your boiler.

Again, I’m concerned with your safety….not your liquor.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:42 pm How close to the bottom of the thumper is your inlet down tube? Heavy slop from your mash would definitely cause a pressure increase (back pressure) in the boiler, especially as the liquid level in the thumper increases.

You’re starting to worry me that you don’t fully understand the physics of distillation. And getting defensive regarding posters’ responses won’t guarantee your safety. You have to be safe and your still is definitely giving you warnings signs.

I suggest you refrain from running until you’ve read a lot more threads about using a thumper inline with your boiler.

Again, I’m concerned with your safety….not your liquor.
ss

It goes down quite far maybe a couple few inches from the bottom, I’m not 100% I’d have to go outside and check for sure, I do understand the process and distillation that’s why I’d like to operate as safe as possible, liquor may be good but if I lose the side of my garage or worse that’s not good. Sorry if it comes off if I’m being defensive, I’m just replying with what I had done, because I definitely do not want that to ever happen again, I will 100% be blowing in the tubes before every run now, I strained the wash before I put it in the still but I noticed but when it was dry there was corn pieces on the side so there were some particles in the pot, I now have to somehow scrape the bottom of my pot, like I mentioned this was my 10th run but my first with this thump, I figured it would go as smooth at my other one but it clearly didn’t lol
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Justinthunder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:25 pm So the thumper did steal some from the pot.
That simply isn't possible as liquid can't run uphill. The vacuum in a pot can suck the the charge out of a thumper when you turn the heat off, but the only way a pot can be emptied into a thumper is by the distiller letting it boil dry.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

NZChris wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:18 pm
Justinthunder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:25 pm So the thumper did steal some from the pot.
That simply isn't possible as liquid can't run uphill. The vacuum in a pot can suck the the charge out of a thumper when you turn the heat off, but the only way a pot can be emptied into a thumper is by the distiller letting it boil dry.
Do you think maybe when the cap blew off I lost quite a bit of my wash and when I started it back up the rest started to boil off until it got vacuumed into the thumper?
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

As multiple people have responded: the thumper CANNOT suck fluid from the boiler. Because physics…

Yes, losing volume means it takes less time to boil dry. And that is what happened.
Last edited by Hambone on Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Caps dont lift off just from a bit of puke imo..... there has to have been a blockage and pressure build up to cause that.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

NZChris wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:18 pm but the only way a pot can be emptied into a thumper is by the distiller letting it boil dry.
Hambone wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:14 pm As multiple people have responded: the thumper CANNOT suck fluid from the boiler. Because physics…

Sorry hambone the way I read NZ Chris’s post was it was possible once the pot was extremely low, okay thanks for the advice, so I would assume most of my wash was lost when the cap popped off, and the rest boiled off, and I should definitely checks for plugs before I start. Thanks for your advise guys i appreciate it.