Third attempt success, thanks to advice from here (and mussel shells).

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BatGuano
Novice

Third attempt success, thanks to advice from here (and mussel shells).

Post by BatGuano »

Thanks the the excellent advice I received in my previous post, my third attempt at a tried and true (Wineos plain ol sugar wash) is a great success. I put on two 23l batches, in both I omitted the citric acid and put in a handful of mussel shells, and in one (because I wanted to test) I added a 1/2tsp of chalk.

The pH did drop dramatically the first day, but not enough to stop fermentation as it was doing before. The batch with chalk dropped from 6.8 to 3.8, while the one without went from 6.5 to 3.5. However these were happily bubbly away and the only thing I have to do is stir it once a day. Since the second day, the pH has been inching up, and both are at 4.7.

Thanks to all of those who offered advice in my previous post. I can't wait to try new recipes with what I have learned so far.
--------------------------------------------
––––––––Live from the GLRS––––––––
––––––––The Man From DAD––––––––
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Third attempt success, thanks to advice from here (and mussel shells).

Post by still_stirrin »

BatGuano wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:00 pm…the only thing I have to do is stir it once a day…
Why do you do that?? Did someone tell you to do that? It is a good way to cause an infection.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Hi, I'm happy with success. Two tips: 1) it is not necessary to mix 2) correct the pH immediately before fermentation (use what you have) then add your shells ... the shells (or other similar substances) have the task of keeping acidity at bay As it is formed with sugar fermentation but they are not very efficient in adjusting the pH at the beginning.I generally use pieces of marble.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Shells are essentially auto correcting. They dissolve (work) harder as the pH drops…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
BatGuano
Novice

Post by BatGuano »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:35 pm
BatGuano wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:00 pm…the only thing I have to do is stir it once a day…
Why do you do that?? Did someone tell you to do that? It is a good way to cause an infection.
ss
It was in the Birdwatchers recipe (in Tried and True), so I assumed it was true for other sugar washes. All of my gear is cleaned and sanitised, my stirring spoon is always cleaned and sprayed with Star-San after use.
BatGuano
Novice

Post by BatGuano »

Demy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:50 pm 1) it is not necessary to mix
I'm assuming you mean stir.
Demy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:50 pm 2) correct the pH immediately before fermentation (use what you have) then add your shells ...
I thought that is what I did, was my starting pH too low?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

BatGuano wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:30 pm
Demy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:50 pm 1) it is not necessary to mix
I'm assuming you mean stir.
Demy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:50 pm 2) correct the pH immediately before fermentation (use what you have) then add your shells ...
I thought that is what I did, was my starting pH too low?
The shells (or other stuff used as a pH buffer) should simply be suspended in washing (I intend raised from the bottom) without some intervention need until the end fermentation, you can give a stir but it really is not essential. As for the pH, I meant to always use some substance to take it to the right value and then also insert the shells because the shells have the function of "neutralizing" the acid that forms while fermentation proceeds but are not very good at Raise the pH immediately when needed (for example Stop fermentation), in essence in your case you need plaster + shells ..... the pH you have left is not bad, I would recommend being in the range between 6 and 5 but Fermentation seems the same with different pH.Forgive my bad English, I think I am famous on the foru for my language ... I hope you can understand anyway.
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

What Demy said.

In my experience, shells are the ticket for buffering over the life of the ferment, but may not be up to the task of correcting a wash that is starting out too acidic. It all boils down (heh) to the chemistry of you mash water — I have to add a bunch of acid at the beginning because my water is seriously alkaline. Sounds like you’re in the opposite situation…
qui bene bibit est beatus