PBW(Powder Brewers Wash)

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillHouseJunkie
Novice

PBW(Powder Brewers Wash)

Post by StillHouseJunkie »

Anyone ever use Powder Brewers Wash to clean their copper still? If so, how good did it work?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: PBW(Powder Brewers Wash)

Post by Deplorable »

All I use on the copper, is a worn out green scotch-brite pad dipped in a bucket of backset. I only clean the outside once in a while if it starts looking too splotchy. I don't do anything more than a water rinse of the insides after tearing down.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

Not a still, but copper mesh -- I found that something like StarSan (being acidic) was a better fit than PBW. But, like Deplorable says, backset will also give you the acid you need.

Something alkaline like PBW is best reserved for breaking down organic deposits in fermenters or scorching in kettles and elements.
qui bene bibit est beatus
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I believe it is a weakly alkaline substance (I suppose sodium carbonate) is good for general cleaning but if you search for brilliance the copper you need an acid substance (vinegard,acid citric ecc), it is perfect after using an acid substance. I usually simply clean with water or a detergent that I do with the ash (great to eliminate odors), sometimes I do a thorough cleaning of that type using citric acid and then bicarbonate.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Sometimes my plates get pretty gunked up because I do a lot of heavy corn mashes. Corn can bring over some heavy oils. If I feel they need to be cleaned due to excessive buildup I first wash them in a soap (dawn) and water then a 10% solution of citric acid. I normally leave it in the citric acid overnight. then 2 tablespoons of PBW per gallon of water overnight.
After they are cleaned I pre-patina the copper by soaking in clean water and air drying for a couple of days. I try to get a good patina on them before I use them as a clean copper will bring over some undesirable flavors.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

3307AD1B-2112-4664-A209-961AFEB3E9E8.jpeg
07C87A68-1954-42CF-84B8-D5A51331CD0A.jpeg

+1 on boiling backset (acid) and ethanol to clean and season your still!

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
StillHouseJunkie
Novice

Post by StillHouseJunkie »

I haven't ran one in a while, so I don't really have any backset to work with. I do have Vinegar, or would I be better off with Citric Acid?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

They all work, from my experience one is not better than another........one is cheaper than the others.