To cut or not to cut when making a flavoured vodka or gin.

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jayka
Swill Maker

To cut or not to cut when making a flavoured vodka or gin.

Post by jayka »

If I use a good neutral where I have already removed heads and tails to make a flavoured vodka or gin from a maceration do I still need to take cuts or can I just run it into one BAP. Maybe just taking off the first and last bit?
Sooner or later the people who run the planet all end up choosing one drink....
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: To cut or not to cut when making a flavoured vodka or gin.

Post by jonnys_spirit »

It’s a good practice to fraction it out and make decisive cuts. It helps me learn where different botanicals and flavors come over.

OEG recipe encourages a small fores cut then capturing a specified amount and I still fraction it for my own edification and make a cut somewhere.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

As jonny has said ......a small fores cut at the beginning is of benefit regardless, also collecting into small jars allows you to learn other things ......what botanical flavours come through at different times is one........mixing very small samples from these same jars 50/50 with water will also teach you a lot about the whys , whens and hows of louching.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Been a while since I done it but like Salty said , theres a lot to be learned from taking small amounts . Especially the few jars before the Louch .
295FD9ED-CA50-4E2E-894A-3FF3B666D991.jpeg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Running into a lineup of jars might be educational, but it isn't necessary for making good gin.

I don't always discard the foreshot. Depending on what type of gin I'm making, sometimes I smell it then add it back.

I have, rarely, taken off a couple of small samples at the end of a run to learn if that particular gin will benefit from them. If it does, my notes for my next batch will reflect that so that I don't have to check again.
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Ok cool thanks guys
Sooner or later the people who run the planet all end up choosing one drink....
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

NZChris wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:26 pm Running into a lineup of jars might be educational, but it isn't necessary for making good gin.
It may not be necessary for you Chris......but try to bear in mind that most people who ask these questions havnt made gin before.
Using jars to collect the run has many benefits that I can think of........another is that you have more control over where you end the run and how much of the earthy late end flavours you might want to blend into or use in your gin.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It shouldn't be made to sound like it's more difficult than it really is though, Bill. It's not like you will ever have to leave out a jar from the middle of a run.

It's very difficult to make bad gin, see Odin's Easy Gin for example, done on volume alone. To make bad gin, you have to do something like using a mismatched botanical or poor base spirit. Running too long might make it cloudy and maybe more bitter, but it won't turn the run into bad gin that you won't enjoy unless you take it to an extreme.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

NZChris wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 pm It shouldn't be made to sound like it's more difficult than it really is though
That coming from someone who seems to specialize in making things seem harder than they really are :lol:
NZChris wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 pm It's very difficult to make bad gin, see Odin's Easy Gin for example, done on volume alone.
Not everyone chooses to stick to making Odins Gin.....some people wander down other paths....including some that are new to gin making.
Working on volume alone is fool proof for beginners , but ultimately you wont learn much that way.
NZChris wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 pm Running too long might make it cloudy and maybe more bitter, but it won't turn the run into bad gin
We all have an opinion and you are welcome to yours Chris.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:52 pm
NZChris wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 pm It shouldn't be made to sound like it's more difficult than it really is though
That coming from someone who seems to specialize in making things seem harder than they really are :lol:
NZChris wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 pm It's very difficult to make bad gin, see Odin's Easy Gin for example, done on volume alone.
Not everyone chooses to stick to making Odins Gin.....some people wander down other paths....including some that are new to gin making.
Working on volume alone is fool proof for beginners , but ultimately you wont learn much that way.
NZChris wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 pm Running too long might make it cloudy and maybe more bitter, but it won't turn the run into bad gin
We all have an opinion and you are welcome to yours Chris.
I covered all of that here https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 8#p7675892