Distilling on Grain

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

squigglefunk
Trainee

Distilling on Grain

Post by squigglefunk »

Anyone else have luck doing this? I have run every mash this way and have had no problems with scorching or burn taste? Tastes better then cleared mash to me?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Distilling on Grain

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Nice! How big is your boiler and what are you heating it with? Do you have an agitator?

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

I have an 18.5 gallon boiler, i will keep the lid off while heating and stir it from time to time until it starts getting pretty warm then I seal it up. I use a propane turkey fryer burner.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

squigglefunk wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:36 am I have an 18.5 gallon boiler, i will keep the lid off while heating and stir it from time to time until it starts getting pretty warm then I seal it up. I use a propane turkey fryer burner.
Copy that! I use an internal 5k5W ULWD water heater element and just ran some non cleared AG beer (quite a bit of fine sediment/trub). Did the same and manually stirred until it was heated and started producing some vapor then closed it up and ran hard and fast (after reducing power and taking fores) without issue. This was not on-grain but there were some particulate. In the past I have had scorches so cleared it but wanted to get this one done and it ran fine without issue.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
————
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

It is difficult to prevent scorching when distilling on the grain unless using a steam method. The problem is exaggerated by overheating the mash (trying to rush matters) and the technical problems with stirring while heating. Please be very careful opening up the boiler to stir if there is any chance of spark or flames igniting alcohol fumes. Using a hot-water heater element I have seen success and failure re: scorching and think my failure was related to getting in a hurry and setting the power too high. Frankly, I'll stick with decanting/filtering in the future.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

i know I have always cleared/strained my mashes when I was using my friends still as this was how he taught me. When I got my own I tried this method and it has been working for me.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I agree that cooking/stripping on-grain/trub will have different flavors but not realistic for most folks with a heating element particularly with corn.

I've done it successfully with grape skins once and thought I could do it again and it scorched. Too much risk to lose a batch so I typically either clear and rack or just run liquid and make sure to stir at heatup and finesse the power controller to prevent a scorch of trub on the element.

I feel like gas fired can be a little more forgiving in this regard but one scorch and it'll ruin your day with the wasted product as well as related cleanup.
————
————
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Here’s a topic from 2007 relating to your post. There are probably hundreds of comments regarding distilling on the grain.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 2#p6712284
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Stonecutter wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:14 pm Here’s a topic from 2007 relating to your post. There are probably hundreds of comments regarding distilling on the grain.
thanks I see two pages? a interesting read tho, thanks!

It seems I am like the "old timers" method of stirring it a bit before sealing it up. And I do no go easy on the heat either. I feel like my burner causes more scorching when run low as the small flame is then concentrated in a small spot in the center of my big still. when cranked up a bit it runs across the whole bottom of the still. then when I get to that point where it is almost ready to start producing I will then turn it down.

I am sure some day I could scorch something but for this recipe it has been working great on many runs!
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

it does seem like from that read tho that these internal electric element heating methods are much more prone to scorching?
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:11 am
Stonecutter wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:14 pm Here’s a topic from 2007 relating to your post. There are probably hundreds of comments regarding distilling on the grain.
thanks I see two pages? a interesting read tho, thanks!

It seems I am like the "old timers" method of stirring it a bit before sealing it up. And I do no go easy on the heat either. I feel like my burner causes more scorching when run low as the small flame is then concentrated in a small spot in the center of my big still. when cranked up a bit it runs across the whole bottom of the still. then when I get to that point where it is almost ready to start producing I will then turn it down.

I am sure some day I could scorch something but for this recipe it has been working great on many runs!
Sounds like you have a pretty good system going. :thumbup: It’s funny how some things just click and others seem to take an eternity to figure out. I run electric so “on grain” distilling is off for me at the moment.
Yes, there are two pages for that particular post.. but plenty more if you search around.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

cool I will keep looking. I am really interested to try my fruit mashes with all the chunks and slop in the still, I think it will intensify the flavors.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

The method of mixing before heating is good, I used it before building my small steam jacket but it all depends on the amount of liquid in your mixture, I happened to distill the slightly juicy fruit (boiler with internal element) and having to add necessarily water otherwise would burn (bad experience), the viscosity is a crucial point if you have a direct heating method, then I switched to the jacket and it's another music ..
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

squigglefunk wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:18 am cool I will keep looking. I am really interested to try my fruit mashes with all the chunks and slop in the still, I think it will intensify the flavors.
If you want fruit+flavor it's much easier to add after distillation. Look T&T " panty dropper " recipe. Fruit flavors are sometimes hard to carry over.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Demy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:56 am The method of mixing before heating is good, I used it before building my small steam jacket but it all depends on the amount of liquid in your mixture, I happened to distill the slightly juicy fruit (boiler with internal element) and having to add necessarily water otherwise would burn (bad experience), the viscosity is a crucial point if you have a direct heating method, then I switched to the jacket and it's another music ..
I am starting to think this is part of my success as I use a "moonshine" recipe which uses both corn and sugar so I think my grain content and viscosity is lower than others.

in my mind I am getting more booze because I feel like even when you squeeze the grains well there is still alcohol trapped in there.

I will keep that in mind when trying a fruit mash.

I for sure would love a jacketed still.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:18 am
Demy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:56 am The method of mixing before heating is good, I used it before building my small steam jacket but it all depends on the amount of liquid in your mixture, I happened to distill the slightly juicy fruit (boiler with internal element) and having to add necessarily water otherwise would burn (bad experience), the viscosity is a crucial point if you have a direct heating method, then I switched to the jacket and it's another music ..
I am starting to think this is part of my success as I use a "moonshine" recipe which uses both corn and sugar so I think my grain content and viscosity is lower than others.

in my mind I am getting more booze because I feel like even when you squeeze the grains well there is still alcohol trapped in there.

I will keep that in mind when trying a fruit mash.

I for sure would love a jacketed still.
Certainly .. in reality I also needed for the grappa (the real one made from the pomace) then the perforated internal boiler while the jacket produces steam passing through and extract alcohol ..
TRK41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TRK41 »

squigglefunk wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:49 am Anyone else have luck doing this? I have run every mash this way and have had no problems with scorching or burn taste? Tastes better then cleared mash to me?
Do you ferment AND distill on grain?
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

TRK41 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:09 pm
Do you ferment AND distill on grain?
yes
TRK41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TRK41 »

This is the same approach im planning on taking when i get up and running. Just taking longer than expected to get equipment in :(
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

I ferment on the grain. Mostly corn but also fruit sometimes. I have had one scorch and went with a new jacketed boiler. Got it from Northstills. I have been filling the jacket with distilled water about 1/3 full and use a PRV. I have been able to run the last 15 gallons of slop at the bottom that I used to throw out and get about a gallon of product extra by doing this over the rack and clear method I used before.