Cleaning strong flavors out of still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cleaning strong flavors out of still

Post by Metalking00 »

My girlfriend has been asking me to try making some Colombian style aguardiente (a very strongly flavored anise liquor) and Im curious what the best way to clean that flavor out of the still is afterwards. I hate the smell and taste of licorice, anise and fennel, and I feel like I can never get rid of the smell or taste once its around. So far, Ive been putting off trying to make any because Im worried my still will smell like anise forever!
Any suggestions? I feel like not even a vinegar run would get that smell out... I know I sound a bit paranoid about it, but I can't stress enough how much I hate that smell.....

thanks
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Cleaning strong flavors out of still

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I think your worrying unnecessarily Ive made heaps of Ouzo in the same still I use to make Gin, Neither the Gin or Ouzo flavours carry over to the next distillation that I might want to do using that still, as long as I give it a good rinse with water after use. Could also give it a good rinse with fores or heads as well if you want to get really fussy.
Metalking00 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:53 am (a very strongly flavored anise liquor)
Cant be any stronger than Ouzo.
Metalking00 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:53 am but I can't stress enough how much I hate that smell....
You better get used to that smell cause your girls going to smell like "very strongly flavored anise liquor" once she starts drinking it :lol:
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Arto’s Raki turned out very good. Very strong anise flavor. I also ran a gin afterwards and was concerned but the anise didn’t carry over. I just rinsed and dried it on the burner. Foreshots musta cleaned her out real good.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I was thinking a second still, or a second girlfriend. You can't have to many stills,

A second girlfriend might be another story.
be water my friend
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Buy her a bottle
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

NZChris wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:35 pm Buy her a bottle
Either long or wide one, lol.

To be serious, I have a separate still for the thangs like gin and so forth. As I hate "fennels", too... just up to my vomit. And love star anise, all of a sudden. But don't wanna "see" it in my runs coming up after...

har druckit för mycket
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:53 pm To be serious, I have a separate still for the thangs like gin and so forth.
I have separate stills and Liebigs to keep the stink of fusels out of my gin and ouzo and the like. Fusels seem to linger longer than aniseed type flavors, probably because they're not as volatile.

Foreshots is a good cleaner. It should work at least as well for aniseed as it does for fusels.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

The smell of star anise is usually also remains after you are wash with water alone, I use a detergent that I get from the boiling of the ash but would be good a detergent (without foam) based on potassium carbonate or something, they have capacity "Eating" smells when I use it ... from my part the commercial product is called "Soda Solvay" but it is only the trade name.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that the smells don't linger as much as I feared, I guess Ill just have to try it out and see what happens.

More stills sounds like a good idea, more girlfriends sounds like a headache....
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

NZChris wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:36 am Foreshots is a good cleaner. It should work at least as well for aniseed as it does for fusels.
Sounds reasonable :thumbup:

Metalking00 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:40 am more girlfriends sounds like a headache....
That's true, man 8)

har druckit för mycket