Aluminum pot to heat water?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SpiffyStump
Novice

Aluminum pot to heat water?

Post by SpiffyStump »

I hope this is the right place to ask this but I have been using what I beleave is a aluminum beer keg with top cut off to heat water for mash, but I think I read somewere that its not good to use this because of the rust and off flavor it will give and if thats the case I would think that when i cook the mash it would have a very small bad reaction with the little bits of rust from heating the water, kinda like how if you would have a still made with aluminum. if this is the case then what would be best to use to heat up water for a mash? I use plastic 55 gl drums for mash so I would need something rather large to heat water, would a food grade 55gl steel drum work? I feel like I read that they are not good to use either because of rust and scratching of the drum will also give a bad flavor.

looking forward to answers!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Aluminum pot to heat water?

Post by acfixer69 »

Aluminum to heat water is OK. Not recommended for a boiler because of the acidity of the mash and backset will cause pitting and failure in a short time. Aluminum does not rust so you may be referring to carbon steel.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Picture would help. I “think” what you have is a stainless keg, which all modern 15.5 gallons kegs would be. I don’t know of an aluminum keg out there, but there is a lot I don’t know about so take that for what it’s worth.
If in doubt leave it out.
SpiffyStump
Novice

Mash not fermenting

Post by SpiffyStump »

Ive been doing this for 9 years now and have never had a problem, I have always done sweet feed, 55gl plastic drum, 50lbs sweet feed & 50lbs table sugar, I have never had a problem until now. For some reason my mash is barely fermenting anything (almost nothing), they buble for 2-3 days and just stop all of a sudden, ive been using the same yeast same heating method with aluminum beer keg I do not know whats wrong. My grandfather said its the humidity but I have made mash on hot days and do not remember having a problem like this, maybe my cooking pot that is a aluminum beer keg is getting rutsy and making it toxic for yeast? or maybe it is getting to hot? I heat water in beer keg dump hot water in plastic drum with feed and sugar mix add cold water and yeast. I know I am letting it cool down enough for the yeast to activate because it will bubble a day later and stop another day after. has anyone ever had issues with the natural heat from the outdoors messing up there fermenting process? or maybe its somehting else? I did switch to corn sugar (dextrose) I really doubt thats the problem.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Re: Mash not fermenting

Post by Hambone »

Different source of sweet feed?
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Does the sweet feed have preservatives in it?

Dextrose is fermentable, so that’s not the problem.

How healthy is your yeast? Do you just sprinkle dry yeast on top of the wash? If you rehydrate the yeast before pitching, you’ll know how healthy it is. And it will survive the high concentration of sugar better when added to the fermenter.

Do you stir it vigorously when you mix in the sugar and feed mix? The yeast needs oxygen in order to multiple at the beginning (before active fermentation). Using hot, or boiling water will drive out most of the available dissolved oxygen, so you need to reintroduce it. Stirring with a paint stirrer for several minutes will add back some air/oxygen to the mush.

For whatever reason, your practices of old are not successful any more. So, you need to update them.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If its rusting its not aluminium.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

pH?
OG?
Current SG?
Temperature?
Does it taste ok?
SpiffyStump
Novice

Post by SpiffyStump »

Hambone wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 pm Different source of sweet feed?
no sir
SpiffyStump
Novice

Post by SpiffyStump »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:21 pm Does the sweet feed have preservatives in it?

Dextrose is fermentable, so that’s not the problem.

How healthy is your yeast? Do you just sprinkle dry yeast on top of the wash? If you rehydrate the yeast before pitching, you’ll know how healthy it is. And it will survive the high concentration of sugar better when added to the fermenter.

Do you stir it vigorously when you mix in the sugar and feed mix? The yeast needs oxygen in order to multiple at the beginning (before active fermentation). Using hot, or boiling water will drive out most of the available dissolved oxygen, so you need to reintroduce it. Stirring with a paint stirrer for several minutes will add back some air/oxygen to the mush.

For whatever reason, your practices of old are not successful any more. So, you need to update them.
ss
preservatives unknow and its always worked,

yeast has always worked but the bag is old, i put yeast in the mash and mix it real well and when I fill it up with water I spray the water in and oxygenate it.
SpiffyStump
Novice

Post by SpiffyStump »

NZChris wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:58 pm pH?
OG?
Current SG?
Temperature?
Does it taste ok?
PH unknown never checked it.
just got a gravity reader but have not used it yet and never really needed one until i started doing sugar free mash.
tempature outsides is hot and humid but its never been a problem, at least from what ive noticed.

tastes has been fine and tastes like its fermented.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It's probably finished. The SG should confirm that, or not. There's no point in owning a hydrometer if you don't use it.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

SpiffyStump wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:15 pm they buble for 2-3 days and just stop all of a sudden,
When you say they are bubbling for two or three days are you looking at the bubbles in an airlock or the bubbles on the surface of the wash ?
SpiffyStump
Novice

Post by SpiffyStump »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 pm
SpiffyStump wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:15 pm they buble for 2-3 days and just stop all of a sudden,
When you say they are bubbling for two or three days are you looking at the bubbles in an airlock or the bubbles on the surface of the wash ?
airlock
SpiffyStump
Novice

Post by SpiffyStump »

NZChris wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:25 pm It's probably finished. The SG should confirm that, or not. There's no point in owning a hydrometer if you don't use it.
yes indeed but ive only just gotten it and just learned how to properly use it, and that act like they are down but are not yeilding like they used to, almost not yeilding at all.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

What number is it reading and what is the temperature?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

SpiffyStump wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:32 pm
airlock
An airlock is the most unreliable way to tell if anything is fermenting , 90% of all stuck ferments end up being a leaking airlock or fermenter lid. If your going to look for bubbles look at the surface of the wash....NOT the airlock.
Surprised you didn't know that after 9 years.
SpiffyStump
Novice

Post by SpiffyStump »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:44 pm
SpiffyStump wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:32 pm
airlock
An airlock is the most unreliable way to tell if anything is fermenting , 90% of all stuck ferments end up being a leaking airlock or fermenter lid. If your going to look for bubbles look at the surface of the wash....NOT the airlock.
Surprised you didn't know that after 9 years.
mash has bubbles and bubbles built up in bottome were the feed is.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

mash has bubbles and bubbles build up in bottom were the feed is.

And bubbles come to the top.

Geoff
The Baker
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

The best way, honestly is to not use your eyes at all. Use your ears. I've had ferments that produce big bubbles with a cap, too some of my rum ferments that look slightly carbonated at peak. One thing that was constant, though, is that if I put my ear to right above the ferment (or on the side of bucket), I can hear that wonderful snap crackel and pop! When it's really done, it's obvious that it is quiet.

I usually let a ferment sit a month or two, anyway, before I get around to it. Saves me alot of this "is it done" drama, lol.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:48 am One thing that was constant, though, is that if I put my ear to right above the ferment (or on the side of bucket), I can hear that wonderful snap crackel and pop! When it's really done, it's obvious that it is quiet.
That method works well for me to SCD :thumbup: , Some times I think Newbs think we are joking when they are told to put an ear real close and listen.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yup , even works for deaf O’l bastards like me . :D
SpiffyStump
Novice

Post by SpiffyStump »

The Baker wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:17 pm mash has bubbles and bubbles build up in bottom were the feed is.

And bubbles come to the top.

Geoff
yes sir.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Your problem is definitely not aluminum, the most common causes could be: Fermentation concluded, you started with too high yeast insertion temperature (killing a lot of yeast), high fermenter temperature, pH that fell too much etc ...
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

I use a similar recipe 50#corn, 50#sugar, 55 gallon plastic barrel. Since you have had repeated success over the course of 9 years. Look at the changes not the constants.

Change in water?
Old yeast?
Dextrose?

You don't have to even melt sugar. Pour corn or sweet feed in the barrel, add sugar, add water, add yeast in that order. Hot water would help, but it isn't necessary.

If you have a keg. More than likely it is stainless and had something in it than would rust. Use vinegar to remove the rust.

Stainless steel barrels are fine assuming it's previous contents were food grade. But never use steel, lined or not for this hobby.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
SpiffyStump
Novice

Post by SpiffyStump »

IMG_20210728_213844.jpg
IMG_20210728_213844.jpg (10.51 KiB) Viewed 914 times
IMG_20210728_213834.jpg
Here is pictures.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Leave some hot dunder in there for an hour then scrub with steel wool.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:02 am Yup , even works for deaf O’l bastards like me . :D
I didn't know you were deaf...... :D
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Hey spiffystump,

That keg is stainless, not aluminum. And counter to paradigms, stainless steel can rust. In fact, if exposed to chlorine, as in a sanitizer, the stainless will lose its “inert layer” and corrode, rather quickly too.

Another way to ensure the stainless lose its passivation layer is to scrub it with carbon steel scrubbies or any abrasive metal material. It will scar the passivated surface and expose the substrate to oxygen, which can initiate corrosion.

I use Scotch-brite (non-metal) abrasives to scrub my stainless brew kettle. It’ll clean scorched build-up without scratching the passive layer from the metal surface. Great for cleaning your stainless pots and pans too. Try it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K