Problems With Dumping Backset

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bee
Swill Maker

Problems With Dumping Backset

Post by Bee »

Back in the winter I thought I'd get ahead of the weeds by dumping hot stillage on my garden spot to kill the weed seeds. I figured the April showers would wash it away. No such luck. Some of the ground won't even allow beans to sprout now.

Any ideas how to fix that?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Problems With Dumping Backset

Post by shadylane »

Bee wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:11 pm Back in the winter I thought I'd get ahead of the weeds by dumping hot stillage on my garden spot to kill the weed seeds. I figured the April showers would wash it away. No such luck. Some of the ground won't even allow beans to sprout now.

Most likely lime.
Over the years, all the places I've dumped stillage has grown weeds and grass really good.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Get a soil test and check the pH. Backset is acidic and may have changed the makeup of the soil.

I’ve heard folks talk about dumping backset on gardens as fertilizer though. If anyone knows how that works I’m curious!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

My backset, if not being saved goes down the drain to the waste water treatment plant. Besides, hot backset has to be a decent degreaser for the kitchen sink plumbing, right?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Screenshot_20210724-071337_WhatsApp.jpg
Like this? Jajaja.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks for sharing that image just before breakfast!
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

It takes longer than 4 months, i still have a bare spot from my first run
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

So this will kill weeds in my mulch bed/path? Is the dog going to want to roll all up in it?
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Bushman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:23 am Thanks for sharing that image just before breakfast!
It's just spent rum beer.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We have a sewer plant that services around our lake and it is within a mile of where we live but actually I can walk down to the plant and there is no smell or problems.
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:49 am So this will kill weeds in my mulch bed/path? Is the dog going to want to roll all up in it?
No probs with the dog rolling in it. I think it's too much like vinegar and not enough like poo. :)
So far, the weeds seem to be prospering, but I can't imagine that dumping the stillage hot wouldn't put the hurt on them.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Bee wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:11 pm Back in the winter I thought I'd get ahead of the weeds by dumping hot stillage on my garden spot to kill the weed seeds. I figured the April showers would wash it away. No such luck. Some of the ground won't even allow beans to sprout now.

Do you live in an area where the soil is sour ? Have you had your soil tested by the local extension office, or can you test it yourself ? Dumping backset on the garden should generally be considered beneficial to the soil; spreading it wider and not in tight concentration might be wise if your soil is already sour.

One thing is certain – is that the seeds of certain weeds can be tough indeed. Hot backset ain't likely to phase them much. Year after year around here, I rake up leaves and in certain spots burn piles of them – hoping to kill weeds. Fires hot enough to bend glass or melt soda cans. The next summer after the rains come – the damn weeds return from beneath the charcoal, happy as ever.

Once the seeds of the 'common mullein' weed were stored in a buried mason jar by an agricultural professor back in the 1880's - and proved to be quite fertile 125 years later after researchers re-germinated them.
Omnia mea mecum porto
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

The dead spot in the grass i have is from hot stillage, I've tried hot and cold on the weeds in my rock garden and it doesn't phase most of em and i get to smell that nasty old stillage smell for a couple weeks every time i walk out the door. NOT A GOOD WEED KILLER, excellent grass killer
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:49 am So this will kill weeds in my mulch bed/path? Is the dog going to want to roll all up in it?
Naw, the dog won't roll in it.
But the dog might eat enough to get the screaming shits. :lol:
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

I dump mine in the woods in the same spot every time. It stays completely bare now. I usually dump it hot though so that might have something to do with it. That and the fact that it gets a fresh treatment of stillage so often.
Plain ole pot rig.